HybridZ

280z Halfshaft?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Is there a non NOS replacement for the halfshafts in a 76 280z? Nissan wants $800, VB wants 700, napa only wanted 85 but when it got here, it was obviously for a later model with CV joints. Also is it possible to rep-lace just the U-joint? To me they look pressed in.

Please help, I really want to drive my car without that nasty ka-chunk every time I change direction, and that constant vibration at higher speeds. Thanks in advance for any help! :confused:

Guest Anonymous

SubZero Are you inquiring about the drive shaft between the transmission and rear differential or the half shaft (s) between the rear differential and wheels?. A lot of the 280 Z drive shafts came with these "nonreplaceable ujoints" that a good drive shaft shop can modify to be replaceable with u joints.Also 240 Z models came with replaceable u joint drive shaft. If you are talking about half shaft u joints ..they are replaceable... Quit looking at those overpriced catalogs.. let your fingers do the walking in the Yellow Pages and place some strategic phone calls and make some inquiries. Also be come acquaointed with junkyards. unbelievable source of Datsun parts and at affordable prices. You live in the Seattle are and a cornucopia of used Z parts

I paid 20 bucks for the half shafts at a Z wrecking yard. They were out of a 280Z/1978 I believe.

I scored some brute force u-joints for 60 bucks for all 4 joints and had my buddy press them in at his shop. They can be had cheap!

By the way this set up has seen 12 second quarters several times.

Mike