HybridZ

Timing help?

I've searched and found http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=140191&highlight=oil+shaft the rotor is said to need to be "in line with the red line in this picture, pointing to the front of the car." So is the picture there in the wrong position, and its supposed to be aligned with the red line?

I originally had the marks on the oil pump and spindle shaft aligned, and the rotor at TDC on the compression stroke was shown mirror image of the picture shown in the link (kind of pointing at the distributor cap bolt around 8 o'clock). The closest timing we could get was about 25 deg, by rotating the distributor. The engine ran ok, but not great.

So, we tried to redo the spindle orientation by removing the oil pump, we we got the same location that the picture in the link shows (about 10 o'clock), and the closest timing we could get was about 5 deg. The engine ran very bad compared to previous location.

I know we need around 18-20, so is there a spindle tooth I missed in the middle or is something else wrong.

This is an 83 l28et engine, ECU, and wiring harness into a 74 260z. I did notice that in the Haynes manual, the Firing order on the distributor has plug 1 at the about 7 or 8 o'clock location, but the distributor cap I have that is new is about 10 o'clock. Maybe one suggestion could be rotating the wires around and double check that..

Thanks for any help!

• 4 weeks later...

what did you find that was wrong i haev been haveing the same problem with mine i think i jsut replaced the head gasket and the front structure since it was leaking. i think i got mine off to since my timming was around 50 ish that jsut guessing. since its about 3 in. from the bottom of the timming tab