HybridZ

lsd question

Guest zwhore

does anyone know if the ring gear bolts from 90+ 300zx n/a are the same as a 84-84 300zx? if they are you can swap a lsd right in.

i already know the bolts from 72-83 are 10mm the 90+ are 12mm.

thanks

well , i tried to fit a 90 diff in to a 83 case the only difference i found was the ring gear bolts. the axle shafts can always be cut down and a new groove machined for the retaining clip.

if the splines are different, thats alittle more difficult to deal with.

i really dont want to spend 600 for a nismo one.

welding it always good:)

Are you going to run ujoint or CV halfshafts?

I am working on a way to run ujoints but I need access to a metal lathe to make some pieces to weld up to the viscous side stubs. I cut the CV cups off the vlsd side stubs and machined them flat to weld a plate to and it will look like a stock ujoint side stub. I just went out and looked at the two sets of stubs. The size and spline count are the same but the vlsd has a longer side than the older R200. It would be big bucks getting that one machined but it could be done I guess.

Don

i am gonna run 280 turbo cv's. i have everything i need to swap, just waiting on the diff.

luckily i have a machine shop next door to my shop that works for beer. a case goes a long way.

Just be careful because if I remember correctly the long one enters and goes through the bearing and carrier and into the vlsd unit. It drives the body of the clutch and the spider gears drive the other side which cause the clutch to slip. That causes the vlsd unit to heat up and that locks it up. There are two screws under the ring gear that hold the carrier together, take it apart there is not much to it. Check the side shaft engagement to be sure.

Good luck. Let me know what it takes to make it work.

Don