HybridZ

hey guys need help with first 280z

just bought a 78 280z, car is in great shape unfortunately will not pass california smog, the timing was off adjusted that, helped but still wont pass, the car is running way too rich, is there a mixture screw to adjust and will this help in my case because according to the sheet, the max hcm ppm is 214, and apparently im putting off around 3,000 ppm, i havent changed the plugs, wires or cap they seem brand new but looks can be deceiving, will the mixture screw make big adjustments to the mixture or just finishing touches.

If you get a Haynes manual, it will give you a ton of great info, and answers to questions like this.

I dont have any pictures available atm, but there is a 'mixture screw' of sorts on the side of the AFM. It might have a small rubber plug covering it, or it might not. Should be on the drivers side of it, sort of near the bottom on the side. You can play with that to get a bit of mixture adjustment. There are other ways as well that I havn't used.

EFI bible. It's the most valuble tool for trouble shooting and general info for the efi system I've found. Try this link http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/efisystem/280zfuelinjectionbook.pdf

It sounds cheesy, but I've had AMAZING results with the CRC product called "guaranteed to pass" fuel system cleaner. A shop I worked at had a shop truck that was made out of an old ambulance and it never passed emissions once in it's life. If you stood behind it while running it would make your eye's burn it ran so rich. The company pumped money into it every year trying to get it to pass, it never did. Until I told them to try guaranteed to pass, if it doesn't work you get your money back anyway (CRC actually does guarantee it). With that stuff it passed no problem. If you try it, follow the directions exactly though. It's totaly worth the $10 to try.

Wow, that was more of a rant than intended, but really, it has worked for me on every old piece of crap I have tried it on.

Oh, is your car origionaly a CA model? If so, it'd be a good idea to make sure the catalytic converter is still there and working properly. The rest of the country didn't get a cat from the factory, so we don't have to worry about it.