HybridZ

260Z timing problem

I just installed a rebuilt L26 in my 74 260Z. I set up the timing as described in the Haynes manual, but I can't get this thing to fire up. I found the compression stroke on the number one cylinder, and set up my spark plug wires. if you are standing at the front of the car and looking at the distribuitor, the rotor is pointing at the wire at the 5:00 position. I am getting spark and there is fuel going to the cylinder. I installed a new coil, cap and rotor, spark plugs, and checked the air gap on the pickup. Any advice would be appreciated.

:(

• 3 weeks later...

Did you get this figured out? Is it possible you could be 180 degrees off. Have you checked to see if you have compression? I would guess your dizzy is not firing at the right time. You should pull off your rocker cover, align your crank to cyl1 TDC, then verify your Cam timing marks are correct. then look at your dist. Is the rotor pointing at Cyl 1 as it's supposed to? I don't remember exactly, I'd have to look at my dizzy, but I thought Cyl 1 was more like 7 oclock on my dist.

If you can find one, you should replace your Dizzy with an electronic Ign. version out of a S130 (82/83) which will give you much more accurate spark, and no points to gap.

I finally had it towed to the shop where I bought the engine and had their expert look at it. I had the timing right, but I was not getting enough fuel. I was coming in sporadically. He found a fuel filter back by the fuel tank that was clogged. I didn't even know it was back there. He got the car running and set up the webbers so its running pretty good. I learned that the engine I bought has a stage one cam, and shaved heads. The compression is over 9:1. That and my inexperience with Z's contributed to my problems. The car does have a transiterized ignition, and I did have the air gap set right. Anyway, the car is running great now! Thanks for taking the time to respond.:burnout::mrgreen: