HybridZ

traveling with old faithful

JessZ

Hey all.

I really just want many opinions here. I am moving from California to Texas next month with my 240zet. Thanks to Hybridz I built a fast, badass 240z. Here's the deal:

It's the stock L28et and I sprayed it with Simple Green to check for leaks and the such, and on cylinder 3 at the head gasket there is an ever so small water leak. I mean when I press on the gasket with my finger I can see a bit of saturation and there is a bit of water residue between the head and the block. I think this is the beginning of a gasket failure, but am I just being too paranoid here? When I say it's small leak, I mean a very small leak.

Thoughts please. I love my Z and want to keep her running and looking pretty, but am tight for cash. Think she'll make it through the trip?

I would think it would be fine.

Retouque the head bolts, and just stay out of it.

Also keep your eye on water level and make sure your not getting water in your oil.

If you are really unsure, make sure you have the tools and a spare head gasket for the trip!

I didn't know L-Series motors needed coolant to run? :)

It's a pretty tough motor. And unless you notice temperatures creeping up or plan on driving in mid-july when it's sweltering hot out, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Put it this way. Would you drive the car locally for another couple thousand miles? If so, what makes you think it wouldn't make the trip?

It's a bit of "traveler's paranoia". I had the same thoughts when we took my girlfriend's Olds Alero on our trip down to South Carolina and back. Put over 5000kms on the car in a week without a hiccup. Started the trip with over 212,000kms on the odometer. :burnout:

Good luck with your move.

Wash the hippie off...thats good. Im from the South Bay area of California and spent about six months total in Texas for schooling in the Air Force, and man you either love it or HATE it. I HATE it there, the locals can tell your not from there, and most of the time they let you know. Maybe if your girls from there she can help you out. And about the car, If you can afford the gasket kit and some coolant and have the tools, It would be cheap insurance. I know I dont want some randome dude trying to poke around under the hood of my Z.