HybridZ

Pilot bushing help!!! new one wont fit in!

My pilot bushing wont fit in my crankshaft, I used a measuring tool and it is actually about 0.2 - 0.3 mm bigger than the hole and the hold one. my local schucks auto parts store said that the bushing they sold me is the same one that nissan has used until 2005.

btw its a 78 280z that I am working in.

Whenever I start to tap it in with my rubber mallet it starts to go in diagonally, and then when I get it out the side is scratched. I just went through my third.

what do I do!?

The pilot bearing gets pressed into the end of the crankshaft, so it's normal for it to start a little crooked, but it should straighten itself out. I think most people use a socket with close to the same diameter and a regular hammer to get it installed. It'll take a few good wacks to get it in far enough. You don't have to worry too much about breaking it. The surface you don't want to damage is the inner portion, as this is where the input shaft of the tranny resides when installed. Dont forget to grease it before installing the tranny. If the outer portion gets scratched, that shouldn't matter. Also, a rubber mallet will have too much cushion and will make the job 10 times harder.

Toss it in the freezer for about an hour. It will shrink in the cold. Move quickly to place it in the flywheel. You do have a simple pilot tool to drive it in don't you? One can be made from a bit of brass or aluminum in just a couple of minutes on a lathe at your local machine shop. Alternately, a piece of alloy round stock with a flat face will work but you have to be careful to drive it flat to the flywheel.