HybridZ

cadillac 4100

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey guys,, i found a like brand new 1985 caddy seville, I love that ugly chopped off trunk, anyway I have heard horror stories about the 4100 and overheating,, any of you had any experence with this motor? Sorry to stray out of the "Z" zone, but there is a lot of pretty sharp fellers on here and I figure I will get some sound coments. But I want to buy this car badly. Tony

------------------

74 260, early 350,K.B.pistons,edelbrock manifold,carb,and cam,202 cast iron heads.Let the transformation begin.

[This message has been edited by takman57 (edited March 17, 2000).]

It sounds like you are looking at the northstar system v8. It is around 300

horse power and they do run strong.

I do not know if it alternates firing

in the cylinders to save gas, but i do know

that it does alternate firing in order to keep it cool in the event of coolant loss

wether it be from a hose or belt failure.

It is a "high tech" engine and may prove

to be more trouble then it is worth trying

to make it work in a Zcar....

Guest Anonymous

It's not the 4-6-8, that was one year only 1981,, it is not a north star, that was mid 90's,, this is just a 4100,and I am absolutly not gonna try to queer my "z" with a caddy engine, when I have A NICE 350 CHEVY "he he" I had just heard bad stories of blown head gaskets and overheating with this motor, I think it is an alum. block and the heads only cover part of the flange on the block , the intake comes down to cover the rest of the gasket surface.just figured one of you guys may have had one of these cars or had dealings with one. Thanks Tony

------------------

74 260, early 350,K.B.pistons,edelbrock manifold,carb,and cam,202 cast iron heads.Let the transformation begin.

• 3 weeks later...

4100's aren't bad, The only thing that I have seen go wrong is rod and main bearings. It seems that they like to eat the #1 and 2 main bearing if the oil isn't changed regularly. This isn't an easy job but the price on the parts isn't bad. Talk to the guys at your local Cad dealer they will know more because many corporate sales personell drove these cars when they were new and tended to rack up alot of miles. Take a 6 pack and go visit you might be suprised what you learn!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest SHARKMAN

I owned a 1982 Eldorado with the 4100 engine. The main reason these engines are not being made anymore is they cams went flat. These engines had a problem with rocker arm supports etc. Don't waste your money. If you want a Cadilac buy one that has a 350 v8.