HybridZ

How Much Bump Travel?

With 375lb springs up front, and a projected front corner weight around 650 lbs with driver, how much bump travel do I really need? I'm just trying to get my head around figuring out how much bump travel I will actually see on a road course with this spring rate.

Regards,

Justin

If I recall correctly, I have about 2.75-3.0" compression travel on total shock travel of about 5.5". That is running at 5.25" ride height on Bilstein shocks, sectioned struts, 375# front and 325# rear spring rates. I would have to look up corner weights but they were in the 600# range +/-

Lowrider :)

No, I'm going to run the YZ fenders, and want to know how much travel I need up front, so I can set the distance from the top of the tire, to the underside of the fender in front.

You can see in this picture of darius car what I'm thinking about. Just trying to figure how much gap I need with these springs. I can always run them into the bump stops to give myself a firm stopping point so I don't rip the fenders off with the tires.

IMG_7586.jpg

You could get something like a 1/16th inch TIG welding wire and attatch it somewhere on the chassis and then have a rubber grommet put on it and something connected to the LCA or strut tube for the grommet to sit against. Then run the car and the grommet will stay at the highest position it was pushed to and that would show how much bump you've had in the run. I know its hard to visualize so this will kinda show what I mean http://www.resuspension.com/Travel-Indicator-for-Coil-Over-p-15554.html

I don't think you could do it on the strut tube because its angled so you wouldn't get an accurate measurement. Having it come straight down and the thing the pushes the rubber grommet up on the LCA and then just do some math because of the length of the arm. I guess you could just do it on the strut tube and do the math to translate it from the angle to a vertical measurement