HybridZ

S&S Long Tube Headers Install

Well,

Last night I finally got around to installing my S&S long tube headers. I looked at the block huggers and said that since I could get those suckers out of there in a few minutes, the long tubes shouldn’t take much longer. Man, was I ever wrong. Five hours later, I tightened the last bolt on the header install. The following is a list of what needed to be wrenched in order to shoe horn these things in:

removal of motor mounts and adapter plates

disconnect steering rod

drop starter

remove oil filter

drop OIL PAN!!!

remove all accessories from fender wall (a few relays and a fuel regulator)

drop engine/steering-rack/cradle/whatever crossmember

remove battery

remove spark plugs

remove H20 temp sender along with about ½ a gallon of coolant (I just had to go mechanical)

After I removed/moved these “few†items I was finally able to muscle these bad boys in. Once I got the motor mounts back on and lowered back onto the cradle, I checked for any clearance problems that some people have said to have. To my delight, everything fit fine. I actually have about ½ an inch more clearance than I did with my old block hugger setup (wasn’t a very good design, the curve coming off the collector could have been tighter). However, the collector dumps right into the floorboard. With a 2 ¼ reducer, the pipe would rub against the floor board. I modified the floor (hammer!) to gain a little extra clearance. I don’t think this will present any problems. I’d like to run dual 2 ½ to a single 4 inch, but I’m probably going to adapt the single 3 inch I’ve got to the long tubes for now…. after I drive it around the block a few times with open headers, of course.

I’ll let everyone know how it performs at the track next weekend. We are having an unofficial “Borg Warner Day At The Trackâ€. So far there are only five of us going. The much talked about street car grudge is between myself and a friendly coworker with a twin turbo Mustang. Both of us have run mid to low 11’s, but are expecting high 10’s next weekend. It should be exciting.

-Andy

Guest Anonymous

Andrew

This is Jack, what were the cost on those headers, I will need a new set of header, and I have been wanting a set of long tube headers for a long time. I look to see a picture of those headers. What are the spec on them.

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Bayley:

Well,

Last night I finally got around to installing my S&S long tube headers. I looked at the block huggers and said that since I could get those suckers out of there in a few minutes, the long tubes shouldn’t take much longer. Man, was I ever wrong. Five hours later, I tightened the last bolt on the header install. The following is a list of what needed to be wrenched in order to shoe horn these things in:

removal of motor mounts and adapter plates

disconnect steering rod

drop starter

remove oil filter

drop OIL PAN!!!

remove all accessories from fender wall (a few relays and a fuel regulator)

drop engine/steering-rack/cradle/whatever crossmember

remove battery

remove spark plugs

remove H20 temp sender along with about ½ a gallon of coolant (I just had to go mechanical)

After I removed/moved these “few†items I was finally able to muscle these bad boys in. Once I got the motor mounts back on and lowered back onto the cradle, I checked for any clearance problems that some people have said to have. To my delight, everything fit fine. I actually have about ½ an inch more clearance than I did with my old block hugger setup (wasn’t a very good design, the curve coming off the collector could have been tighter). However, the collector dumps right into the floorboard. With a 2 ¼ reducer, the pipe would rub against the floor board. I modified the floor (hammer!) to gain a little extra clearance. I don’t think this will present any problems. I’d like to run dual 2 ½ to a single 4 inch, but I’m probably going to adapt the single 3 inch I’ve got to the long tubes for now…. after I drive it around the block a few times with open headers, of course.

I’ll let everyone know how it performs at the track next weekend. We are having an unofficial “Borg Warner Day At The Trackâ€. So far there are only five of us going. The much talked about street car grudge is between myself and a friendly coworker with a twin turbo Mustang. Both of us have run mid to low 11’s, but are expecting high 10’s next weekend. It should be exciting.

-Andy