HybridZ

shocks for a chevy 350 convesion

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

im puting a rebuilt chevy 350 into my 1972 240z. anyone have any tips on what type of shocks i should use. since the 350 is so much heavier than the stock engine i think i should change the shocks. what u guys think. help me out!!!

Much Thanks

Ryhan

Welcome to the forum! You will get good advice here since most of the guys contradict me anyway!! icon_biggrin.gif

Actually, if you are using the new MSA mounts or the JTR conversion (my choice) the weight over the front wheels should be no more than about 150 lbs (that is not that much all things considered). Any aluminum parts you use like an aluminum intake manifold, wanter pump, heads, etc, will drop that weight right down to about stock. Some good shocks you can get from www.shox.com and would be something like Tokikos, Koni (too stiff IMO), even KYB if you are on a budget. The springs are almost more important, because the shocks can handle the weight. Look for springs in the above website, or MSA, or Jim Cook Racing, etc.

Hope that helps you out.

David

yeah, the shocks are important, but not as important as good springs, but they do go hand in hand. im running scarab springs and kybs up front, too dang stiff, almost every bump sends shocks through my spine, but i like it!

Guest Anonymous

You're typical performance suspenions mods for the Z still apply. The increased stiffness of the performance springs will help with any additional weight. Shocks can be whatever the budget allows, KYB would probably be the cheapest of the performance shock upgrades up to the tokico 5 way adjustables which are ahem, on the other end of the $$ spectrum.

Regards,

Lone

Pretty much with the rest of you on this but a few comments....

1st SBC isn't that much heavier than stock - you been hanging out at ZCAR.COM or something? The stock L6 is pretty heavy and if you've used any aluminum bits you should be close. Weigt distribution, if done right, will actually be BETTER than stock. How's that for having your cake and eating it too? icon_smile.gif

2nd it's not shocks that support the car, it's springs. Shocks act as dampers not support. You might find heavier duty springs to be in order along with decent performance shocks that you'd want for a Z anyway...

Guest Anonymous

thanks for the info guys. ill keep you posted on my conversion. also, im thinking about adding some NOS. what u guys think? to much power? my friends say that im going to kill myself. but i still think there can never be too much power. icon_biggrin.gif