HybridZ

81 zxt dizzy as a second trigger?

randy 77zt

3 years ago or so i installed ms with a setup idea used by 1 other member.i put 3 magnets in the back of the flywheel with a cherry hall effect for a rpm pick up.then i used the ms to drive the stock zxt coil ignitor and used stock 81zxt dizzy.after blowing up an engine(my fault)i built a nice new stroker 2960 .after break in i found out during some garage tuning my old dizzy/oil pump drive set up has 4-5 degrees of slop -not good for tuning a turbo engine.time to move up to the 21st century.so i have started by getting my new company laptop to talk to my ms and reflashed the old ms 2.2 to 029y4.then reloaded maps and got the car going again.sourced some chevy ls truck coils from local wrecking yard=$120 for bracket,sub harness,coils as removed from engine.now for the question.i have figured out 2 ways to trigger it.choice #1 -remove the engine -put 2 more magnets in the flywheel to make the hall sensor put out a 6-1 pattern and run waste spark.i use a degree wheel and piston stop to locate the magnets-accuracy is important here.choice #2- leave the engine in and make the 81zxt dizzy into the second trigger.but i am wondering if the slop in the dizzy will show up in the timing output of the ms even though its just a secondary trigger to locate #1 cylinder.i have a sensor in stock to put in the dizzy all ready.choice #3- trigger the new cherry gear tooth sensor i got off of the old 81zxt 90 tooth wheel-just take some teeth out somewhere after i get the sensor mounted-easy enough sinve i have the a/c compressor bracket on and can use the old zxt crank pick up mounting holes to bolt another piece of metal to.i like using the cherry industrial sensors because the appear to be rugged and are easy to mount.i would assume that they put out a decent clean square wave -but i havent scoped 1.never any problems ever in 3 years though.or i could but a 6-1 pattern of magnets in that disc on the back of the 82/83 zxt crank pulley.i am not big on visable added parts though-thats why i like the flwheel trigger-its hidden and uses the least amount of added parts.