HybridZ

L28ET troubles. Runs great, and then nothing...

CamH

Here's what I've got:

1983 rebuilt L28ET with forged bottom end with compression bumped to 8:1

Factory distributor

Good condition factory turbo injectors

No intercooler

Factory turbo in good condition

MegaSquirt II v3.57PCB

LC-1 wideband O2 sensor

MSA downpipe

240Z coil

NGK BPR6ES plugs gapped to .020

Here's what it's doing:

When I start the engine, it starts up almost immediately, and runs very well. It revs easily and is very smooth, and idles nicely. After short time, it will begin running very poorly - extremely rich according to my wideband. After that, I can rev it up and once I let off the gas the engine will immediately die, and I cannot restart the engine until I turn the MS off and then back on.

I really need to get this sorted out because I am about ready to give up on this engine and put in a different one with carburetors soon because I really need to be able to drive this car. Thanks in advance for any help.

Unfortunately, I do not have a data log for the particular way it is running at this time. I left the power cable for my laptop at home the last time I went to work on the car. I do, however, have a copy of the MSQ file I am currently running. Could I please get someone to look it over before I rip out my nonexistant hair? I can get a datalog to accompany it probably tomorrow evening.

megasquirt200904201520.msq.zip

Guest Rolling Parts

Could be the coil gets hot and needs to cool off.

That would also show up as a "super rich" condition as some of the plugs stop firing just before the coil quits altogether...

Does this one have a MapDaddy or other real time barometric pressure sensor installed? If not, turn the barometric correction off. The barometric readings in the log look rather weird.

Are you referring to the MAP sensor? If so, I am running the standard ones that comes with the V3.57 PCB. So, it may help to turn off the barometric correction off, right?

Could be the coil gets hot and needs to cool off.

That would also show up as a "super rich" condition as some of the plugs stop firing just before the coil quits altogether...

Well, the coil is still cool to the touch after running the engine. How likely is it that only the internals of the coil are overheating?

Guest Rolling Parts

When you said you had a "factory distributor", is that from an 82-83 ZXT?

How are you driving the coil (from the MSII, a ZXT ignitor, or a ZX transistor)?

How old is the 240Z coil?

A lot of ignition stuff gets old and flakey. The 30 year old ZX and ZXT ignition stuff can fail in just the way you're describing.

When you said you had a "factory distributor", is that from an 82-83 ZXT?

How are you driving the coil (from the MSII, a ZXT ignitor, or a ZX transistor)?

How old is the 240Z coil?

A lot of ignition stuff gets old and flakey. The 30 year old ZX and ZXT ignition stuff can fail in just the way you're describing.

Yes, I mean the factory 82-83 ZX distributor. I am driving the coil with the BiP373 coil in the MegaSquirt. I have switched between two known good coils and neither one has offered improvement. I am not sure of either ones age.

Guest Rolling Parts

Great job, it's not the coil then.

I had the exact same setup last year and had the same problem. Any chance that the "dwell" setting on the MS side that drive the coil? I forgot to set the dwell and it ran fine for 10 minutes and then quit. I just re-looked up the manual and they recommend something like 3ms as a staring point. Gee, I hope it's that simple!

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/vb921.htm

Guest Rolling Parts

It would not be something as simple as a partially blocked fuel return from the EFI swap?

It slowly builds too much pressure and then kills the engine with over-rich?

Might be nice to make sure all else on the engine/fuel system is right with a fuel pressure gauge on the rail and/or a volt meter to make sure about the grounds are good in that 240Z. Hard to say what's the gremlin w/o being able to watch what's going on and catching it "in the act".

I am going to go with Rolling parts on this one, what is the fuel pressure?.

I can't open up zipped files at work so I can't see your MSQ.

Does the timing change in Megatune when this happens?. Does dwell change?.

Is your wideband still good?.

While the engine is running wiggle check all your connections to make sure you have good solid connections. Do this inside the car to at all the connections you made for megasquirt.