HybridZ

Aftermarket steering wheels

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hiya all,

I've been really wanting to replace my steering wheel on my 240Z, the stock wood one is driving me nuts! So does anyone know of a place that do sell a good one. Nothing to expensive either. I do like the MSA GT grant ones, but I have one of those, and would like to use my horn, my experience with those are the horns are Crap! smile.gif but i do like the steering wheels

any help here anyone? recommendations?

zya

Yuichi

Zdriver.com

Guest Fast Frog

I like the Grant Signature series with the "Z" trademark letter on the horn button. Motorsport Auto, Victoria British, Tweeks, et.al. sell them for $110-$150. They've got several styles to choose from. I've purchased 5 of this series for my collection of Z's and like them. The horn installation is easy and I've not had a horn failure in 6 yrs.

Hmmm, maybe you can help me then, Fat Frog.

My car came with one of these wheels, dont

know what it is but I guess it is a signature

series because it has the Z in the middle

and is black...oh yeah its round too.

Anyway, there are wires on the back of the

horn button and the ground wire is grounded

to something on the steering column. But it

doesnt go far enough in to touch the stock

horn wire that is soldered onto the assembly

behind the wheel.

Is there something that has to be installed

to reach this wire? Also, the horn button has

terminals for two wires but a wire going

through the column would get tangled up when

I turn!

I hope this makes sense...

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Guest Fast Frog

Owen:

The problem might be that the copper contact from the horn wiring lead on the steering column is not making proper contact to the back side of the Grant steering wheel hub. When installing the Grant SW, one has to bend that springy copper contact quite alot toward steering hub to make constant contact with the back of the hub. Check to see if you have contact. Also, check to see if the hub surface (which is also copper) is well greased so the contact won't start wearing down.

The wire from the steering hub connects to the middle "male" connecter on the back side of the horn button. When the button is pushed in, it grounds the horn, hence, making the horn work.

If this doesn't make sense, give me a call at home in the evening at (970)464-0694.

Rick Marcus

Guest Fast Frog

Owen:

I don't know about two wires-least ways on the Grant Sig series steering wheels. The Z horn circuitry is really simple. The + lead is the green wire with black stripe going to the springy copper lead that makes contact with the back of the steering hub. The - lead (black wire)is attached to front side of the hub (which is grounded to the steering column) and connects to the back of the horn button. When the button is pressed against the metal portion of the front of the hub, the electrical circuit is complete and the horn "honks". If there's a black wire, use it.

Just a note on the MSA wheels. They show Momo and others in their catalog but don't specify a brand - for a reason. The ship Grant wheels instead! Have seen several complaints over on ZCar about this so buyer beware. I've got two Momo wheels, both slightly different, and they really feel nice. Oh yeah - horns work on both cars :-)

Guest Anonymous

hiya all,

Yah its pretty obvious its a GT Grant steering wheel with a Z little horn. Wohooo! smile.gif But I went to kragen and it costs pretty much the same for what they charge, and i'd rather have a Z button then a GT button, which i don't mind but Z PRIDE is better right?

Where is a momo supplier anyways?

zya

Yuichi

Zdriver.com

I went to MOMO.com, they gave me a source near me. The hub adapter from momo is about $45, where the Grant is $15, and you can find it anywhere.

[This message has been edited by DennisK (edited August 03, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

dennis,

Its too bad the momo.com doesn't exist anymore, i remeber it used to be around, but i think Momo took their site down or something. am i wrong anyone? i can't find it in the search engine either;/

zya

Yuichi