HybridZ

240Z stereo...

BLKMGK

Okay I've got a 72 240 and am wondering how the heck I'm going to put a stereo in it. I've got a heater panel for the car that hasn't been hacked up already and don't mind cutting it neatly for a DIN head unit if I must. However speaker placement puzzles me greatly. It looks like Zs only has speakers in the far back corners. I've seen boxes for the rear but I seem to recall them being pricey. I can build a small box, no biggie but what about the front? Is there room in the kick panels for a decent speaker? Don't think I'll run an amp just maybe a 4 channel head unit of decent power. Just want a little sound and am curious as to how others are doing it. No chopping up door panels unless Mike can make some nice carbon fiber replacements :-)

Thanks!

I've had an idea for speaker placement floating around in my head for a while, figured I'd share it.

I am thinking of placing a set of midrange (5 1/4", 6" whatever you want) in front of the rear strut towers, angled up across the cabin. (basically will head towards the opposite person in the car from the side the speaker is on)

This is basically wasted space for most people as far as I can tell. I am not yet sure how to attach them, etc. I'm not that far along yet. smile.gif But I think that if you aim them for between the 2 seats then you will get pretty good sound up front.

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Heh, I think in my case the cage might get in the way of that. The rear wheel well just in front of the rear tower has pipe welded to it... I'm thiking of some sort of SMALL box across the back like the box I've seen being sold elsewhere and maybe a pair in the kickpanels. My Miata has nothing but speakers in the doors and it kicks pretty good with no amp - but also no bass :-( I was surprised since the speakers are so low in the compartment.

Guest Anonymous

Are there any rules about mounting things (like speakers) to your role cage? Even if there are, you could mount them in a way that was easily removable so you could take them out when you go to the track...

• 4 weeks later...

Actually my doors guts have already been chopped for speakers. However my nice door panels are intact! I think I'm going to try just rear speakers first once I find a readio (ahem). If that's not enough I may very well have to buy a sacrificial (sp?!) set of door panels and grit my teeth.

As for road noise - I've got a ton of DynaMat done now and a decent amount of foil covered insulation that should also block sound. If this thing doesn't sound quieter I'll eat my hat - I've busted my butt putting this stuff in and if it doesn't work well I'll be most upset. I'll know by next week and yes I've been taking pics along the way.

Guest Brian260ZT

How about 2 amps, 300W, and 3 speakers?

I've put 5.25's and 6.5's in the lower front corners of my door. (74 260Z) The key is to use a pair of 2" ABS spacers, then cut and form the back of the spacers to match the odd shape of the door. You'll still need to cut a hole in the door, but you'll be able to stay clear of the window mechanism.

I have my 100W Kicker amp under the passenger seat, and a 200W Infinity Amp mounted in the space behind the passenger seat. I've replaced my Blaupunkt 5.25s with Infinity Kappa 6.5s, using the same spacer rings. The 200w amp powers the two door speakers and the 100w powers a single MTX 7000 10" sub in the rear.

Road noise... what road noise ?

Brian

Guest Brian260ZT

Sounds great!

I get the most "road noise" from the window and door seals. FYI. But, I'm going your route this winter and putting in some foil backing. I'm still thinking about the DIY bedliner stuff too.

Guest Fast Frog

BLKMGK:

Before I sold it, my '72 240 had small 4" kickers adapted into the front inside qtr panels. These qtr pan, as you know, are carboard. I placed 6X9s behind the set next to the strut towers. one could place them further back.

In my 383, I've got 4" kickers mounted in the lower front panel of the doors and 6X9's next to the rear strut towers.

My son has the same setup in his '76 Z cept he's also got a 10" bazooka woofer mounted to the back tail light panel.

Ah yes - those carboard panels! I'd thought about putting a speaker in there but wasn't sure there was enough depth. I guess I'll have to look more seriously at it. Figure somehting out of thin laminate to replace the carboard maybe - just have to beware of the darned rollbar footer now! Bazooka in the back is a good idea - I really liek their stuff. I may build a box back there for 6X9s though, I'm not sure.

Putting in carpet now. As if that wasn't hard enough I've got to trim it for the rollcage. Darned stuff is like a jigsaw puzzle with no pic to guide you! Thankfully I think I've got the pieces figured out. a friend of mine who used to lay carpet is going to come over and do the trimming for the cage - he's amazing! He did the trimming on the Mustang after it's cage and it's very neat. I'll let everyone know how effective this stuff was when I'm done - hope to know this weekend..