HybridZ

Starter suggestios

John Scott

OK gang. I need a new starter to go with my new small diam. flywheel. I really like the minis for the size and weight savings, but have heard the build quality can vary in some brands. Any suggestions? Please include a $ figure if you can.

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited September 18, 2000).]

I just bought the CVR mini starter from Jeg's.It has a Nippondenso motor (sounds Japanese), 4:1 gear ratio, and has 5 to 18 motor adjustment positions. The solenoid is encased in a heat resistant aluminum housing. Part # 171-5323 for 153-168 tooth at $146.99.

I haven't started the car yet, but it looks like a well built starter.

Mike - is the starter in the car mounted etc? Nose of the starter have a support? I'm looking at the F-Body starter myself but if there's a better option I'm all ears. I'll be running the standard flywheel made for the one piece oil seals.

FWIw - I spoke to someone who knew folks at a local starter shop who built and customized starters. Apparently the big thing is to use starter motors out of Japanese cars and juggle the reduction etc. Apparently those folks make some pretty heavy duty torquey motors. It's no surprise that you're seeing a Nippon or maybe even a Hitachi motor in your aftermarket unit. Heh, wonder what it sounds like turning the motor over. I can usually tell a Windsor Ford turning over just by hearing th esound :-)

Ya it's mounted, but the nose doesn't need support, it bolts to the block with one included shim. It's hard to see but it looks like it's lined up right. I'll be able to tell when I crank the engine. (not sure when that will be). I have the Centerforce flywheel, but starter to flywheel should be the same.

[This message has been edited by Mike kZ (edited September 19, 2000).]