HybridZ

Header wrap, good writeup IMO

http://www.centuryperformance.com/heatwraps.htm

is the URL, I'll paste in a little info to give their general idea

"Background Information:

In the past, almost all NASCAR and other racing engine builders used the header wraps for the

added power gains. But, after having to replace the headers after each race due to the wrap being

about the only thing holding the header together, they do not promote the practice any longer! They

now utilize the thermal coatings that are chemically and electrically applied to the headers. Those

include Airborn, Jet Hot, HTC, and others.

Imagine having to replace a $1200.00 plus set of headers after each race weekend! Few but the

most financially well-off race teams can afford to do this. But, it is also in the downtime for

remaking a custom set of headers. Most custom header makers do not have copies readily

available.

I believe that the wraps are good to protect various items from heat, but not to hold the heat in the

header. For example: you can use the wrapping for the protection of fuel and oil lines, wiring, etc.

Cool air needs to be around the header, and insulating it with a wrap to hold exhaust heat in makes

the header material temperatures near molten. When you wrap the header you trap the heat in the

header, but also in the material that needs to breathe to dissipate heat for it's own survival."

Guest Anonymous

Pulled my engine about a month ago, ahd headers wrapped. Car had not been in rain and headers were swis cheese. I replace them with ceramic coated headers. Hope these last longer. They sure look nicer!

Mark

I have been using the DFI wrap and so far I

swear by it. I do know of the adverse affects of using it. It sure does keep the under hood temps way down and you can actually run the engine for a while and grab the header tube without getting blistered. My headers have the thickest wall of any header that I have ever seen. One thing that should be considered when talking about the wrap is that some people may have a very lean setup and that would generate way more heat then you should putting through a set of headers. I can easily see that someone would wrap their headers and not be able to visually see the headers glowing from the lean condition thus causing premature failure.

Myron