HybridZ

help with vin number question?

Hey everyone. I found a Z at a local wreckers. they say it's a 75. according to the vin it is a 75 (hls30-224425) but the build date on the sticker says 8/75...wich according to what I read is a 76....can anyone out there run it for me? or give me some pro advice?

Really, there's no way to check that, since Nissan never kept records of the VIN's sold other than how many. There's no record saying your car was sold in what date. 8/75 could be still sold as a 75', it depends on when the paperwork came through. There's nothing out there that even says what VIN # originally went to what car either, so by VIN there's no exact cutoff saying S30-XXX vin = 74-260s and after that they were all 280z's there was a little overlap. Model years aren't exactly set in stone, at least back then they weren't.

Phar

Check out this thread on VIN numbers:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=147218

you should double check all your #'s

well the car is dead perfect. no floorboor rust, no rust anywear from what I have seen. paint is original and great. louvers are not even rusted. dash is not cracked, center console in beautiful shape. The engine is already pulled (and trans) so i woudn't have to get rid of it somehow. and its for 300 bucks...

Hey everyone. I found a Z at a local wreckers. they say it's a 75. according to the vin it is a 75 (hls30-224425) but the build date on the sticker says 8/75...wich according to what I read is a 76....can anyone out there run it for me? or give me some pro advice?

The 1976 Model Year DATSUN 280Z's started production in Aug. 1975. The VIN series for the 76 Model Year started with HLS30 27001.

FWIW,

Carl B.

all hail carl. Thats what I wanted to hear. Are you 100% sure on that? (this is california) hence why i would be SOOOO happy

The VIN info is directly from Nissan Motors. After 1973 when both the Emissions and Safety regulations in the US became far more strict - Nissan Motors USA did do a better job of documenting production dates and Model Year information.

If the car is in a Wrecking or Salvage Yard - it is more than likely that the title has been surrendered to the State, and declared "Salvage". If that is the case, then you'll have to apply to the State to get a new State Issued Title -- so the VIN will change to one issued by the State.

That is UNLESS the people running the Salvage Yard - do NOT follow the law, and instead just hand you the title that the person that took the car there to begin with handed them. $300.00 isn't much to have at risk - but ask to see the title BEFORE you hand any CASH over to people at Salvage Yards...

If the car does come with a "SALVAGE" title - it may be a fun project - but don't expect to be able to sell it for much when your ready to get rid of it...

On the other hand - as mentioned - the dash, doors, front fenders, hood and tail gate - if all are actually "perfect" - - are worth several times the purchase price...

FWIW

Carl B.

I have done alot of business with this wrecking yard. The title was already surrendered so after i get it built I will have to do a brake and light inspection. I am just hoping it is a 75 so i can dump in a 350 :)

and the build date is august of 75...that why I am worried :/

and tomorrow or friday I will swing by the yard and take some pics to post up here :)