HybridZ

WTB 280z gas gauge/voltmeter

strokerzedd

• Administrators

For what its worth, the '76 280 was the first year with the Volt meter and the "Font" style of the letters is the same as the early gauges. The '77 and '78 font style is little different. I'm not sure I have both, but if so, I try and get pics.

• Administrators

Sorry I don't have any '76 gauges, but this should give you an idea of the difference in Font style. The '76 volt gauge will have the '75 font style, but have the Volt markings and charge light like the '77-'78;

75.jpg

77-78.jpg

For my '75 280-Z, being I wanted the Volt gauge and I like '77-'78 Font style better, I swapped over all my gauges to '78. The only difference between the '77-78 gauges is that the '78 had Kilometers in light blue inside the MPH, '77 did not. The connectors are different so you'll have to cut and splice the other connectors. I opted to splice in the '78 connectors into my '75 dash harness as they are less prone to the poor connection issues of the earlier style connectors. :wink: Nissan was nice in retaining the wire color codes through the years so that made the connector switch over rather easy.

Something of note if you plan to V-8 is the '78 tach changed internally and will not function with the GM HEI. I tried several '78 tachs, ones that knowingly worked in '78 cars, before after trying them tie V-8 car, with resistors, etc, they do not function at all with the GM HEI. The '77 tach works with GM HEI just fine.

Sorry for the long tangent, hope it helps.

If this is out of place, let me know and I'll delete it.

Paul

Lots of great info. I'm just completing a 2 year long RB26 conversion and I did a serious gauge makeover. Despite being able to put 4 gauges where the original tach and speedo were, I've still run out of room. I just purchased an AEM Serial Gauge as well that reads 19 parameters and had to put it in the fuse box cover.

P5191019_thumb.jpg

P5161000_thumb.jpg

P5161006_thumb.jpg

PC181273_thumb.jpg

PC181277_thumb.jpg