HybridZ

LS1 alternator

I did a thorough search on LS1 and LT1 swaps and what wires to use to connect to the alternator. I also searched on LS1tech.com, and read many ways to make the connections to the alternator. This is what I have; 2002 LS1/4L60E going into 1977 Z, (I stripped all the wires out of the Z) I have a Summit 18 circuit harness that has large red wire and a alternator excitor wire. Also, I have a Speartech harness that has a alternator plug with a red and gray wire. I am pretty sure I do not use the Alternator excitor wire, from what I have read you need a resistor on the 98-99 LS1 -alternator? 2000- 2002 do not require a resistor from a lot more reading. My question, do I connect the large red wire to the alternator and also connect the alternator plug from the LS1 harness?

Thanks

The plug on the alternator has 1 wire, and needs to be plugged in. The other end of this wire connects directly to the PCM. The PCM control's the alternator this way. The big red wire connects to the back of the alternator, and on my car directly goes to the starter post, then directly to the positive post on the battery. I don't whats up with the harness's that you bought, but if they connect the same way then you'll be fine.

I will take a picture of the connectors and post them, the Speartech harness has a two prong Delphi connector labeled alternator and there is a place under the alternator for that connection. So I also connect the big red wire to the back of the alternator. I will email Speartech ask about the gray wire witihn the delphi alternator plug. Thanks !!!

LS1_Alternator.jpg

I found out there are two alternators being used the cs130 and cs130D. I have the cs130D and the connector I have is the right one. The pigtail and alternator I have should also eliminate the need for a resistor. I will see how it goes in the next couple days, I know I will have more questions and searching to do. Thank you.