HybridZ

Eye watering fumes

Guest Frank280z

Guest Frank280z

This has been going on since I placed my fan in front of the radiator. It stays cool now. But it also pushes the fumes right through the dash. I'm using the flex lite 14"? Works well for cooling. Worked better when I placed it out in front pulling in the fresh air. I believe it will work decent if I return inside(now that its timed correctly)....But if there are any better suggestions out there; I'm all ears. Frank

Frank, I have a hard time believing that relocating the fan has anything to do with the fumes. If anyone knows better, pipe up. Eye-watering fumes are typically exhaust fumes or being very close to a gasoline leak eek.gif

What you did by relocating the fan is to push air through the radiator instead of pulling it. Z-cars are infamous for exhaust fumes as a result of the rear end design. I would think your problem is more along the lines of a bad hatch seal, taillight gasket not sealing, a hole in the floor biggrin.gif Yes, a hole in the floor. The Z has a lot of holes in the floor in the rear deck for the fuel venting system. If one of those is unused and unplugged, you suck exhaust fumes into the car.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

http://www.mindspring.com/~vscott911/gnz.html

Guest Frank280z

We could probably rule out the leaks for now. But I will go through the floor in the rear and check that out. You're right about the seal for mine is in terrible shape. But is it ok to plug up all of the holes in the rear hatch area. Or will I still need some type of fresh air venting. My spare tire well is gone. Fuel cell now. Thats tight. I guess down in the fender wells.....Frank

I get the fumes when my collector gaskets

start to leak. The collector is very close the large wireing harness that comes out of the body along the lower passenger side frame rail. That big rubber gasket is dry rotted and lets the fumes in...

Myron