HybridZ

wiring a 5.0 to my 260z.

7MGFORCE

it will be carb set up since im really bad at wiring so i like to keep it simple.

my question is how much of the stock "early" 260z engine wiring do i need to connect the motor?

i look at the z8 convertion but it didnt go into detail on how the wiring was done.

and if i were to install a 130amp alt what else do i need to do?

For a carbureted engine, the answer is pretty much all of it. The wiring in the engine compartment is mostly for the headlights and turn signals with just a few wires going to the engine.

The wires that went to the starter on the straight 6 will now go to the starter on the V8. The wire that went to the coil on the 6 will now go to the coil on the V8. Some combination of the alternator wires will be reused depending on the alternator and voltage regulator that you end up using (I bought a Power Master 1 wire alternator with internal voltage regulator and made it simple).

If you run mechanical water temeperature and oil pressure gages then you can delete those two wires. Another thing that you can stand to loose is all of the inter-lock relay crap.

For a carbureted engine, the answer is pretty much all of it. The wiring in the engine compartment is mostly for the headlights and turn signals with just a few wires going to the engine.

The wires that went to the starter on the straight 6 will now go to the starter on the V8. The wire that went to the coil on the 6 will now go to the coil on the V8. Some combination of the alternator wires will be reused depending on the alternator and voltage regulator that you end up using (I bought a Power Master 1 wire alternator with internal voltage regulator and made it simple).

If you run mechanical water temeperature and oil pressure gages then you can delete those two wires. Another thing that you can stand to loose is all of the inter-lock relay crap.

i was looking at 260z wiring at http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/wiringdiagrams/74_260Z_wiring.pdf

and was curious wich ones from this list can i eliminate? this car will be strickly carb and will not be turn to efi at all.

part 1.

A. transistor igniter

B. inhibitor switch

E. fusible link box

H. kickdown solenoid

part 2.

A. EGR solenoid

B. throttle opener solenoid

D. thermal transmitter

H. egr relay

part 3.

what is

5. shunt??

9. stopper motor?

and will i need to upgrade voltage regulator since i plan to run a 130amp alternator?

and with the 1 wire alternator i saw one on ebay thats 130 amp will i need to "upgrade" any wiring. i know the one wire connects directly to the battery so im unsure if i need to "beef" up wires.

oh and one more thing if i were to connect the oil pressure and water temp and use the stock gauge are they pretty acurate?