HybridZ

Taurus cooling fan questions

Guest brad

What year(s) Taurus uses the high capacity cooling fan that I've been hearing about? Are there particular models that use this fan, or do all (4cyl, 6cyl, and SHO) use it?

Guys, I need some advice here too! I am contemplating the Flex-a-lite Black Magic fan, but a junkyard Taurus fan (or whatever) would be much cheaper. Since this project is on the cheap, I'll take the advice...which is even cheaper! Thanks!!!!!!

David

Guest Anonymous

I think I agree with the others, a Junkyard fan might be a better route. The black magic has gotten alot of press because its mentioned in the JTR manual, but I personally think its pricey. You can probably get nearly any fan in the dismantlers for half as much. Just a opinion, but a 90 bucks is 90 bucks.

Lone

Thanks to Randy, Morgan, and Lone for the advice!!

The plan now is to go with the Taurus fan (the junkyard here is FILLED with ford product!) unless a mustang fan would be better. A fan from a 3.8L with A/C should work, eh Randy? I hope I will be able to fabricate a proper mount--I have the aluminum Camaro radiator and hope I can adapt everything fairly easily. Any ideas on the thermostat/temp probe wiring? This should be fairly straight forward, yes? Would I need to go to a Painless Wiring unit or such? Again, I'm a CHEAPIE, but I'll strike a healthy balance that's most effective.

Thanks for the input!! biggrin.gif

David

I'm a proponent of OE fans. There is NO WAY that the aftermarket has as much to lose on a bad/insufficient fan design as the OE's do. The OE's spend time testing the cars in the desert with A/C blasting etc. The aftermarket (except maybe SPAL) only care about selling to us guys, and there's alot of hype about their products, IMO

I have a 98 GT Mustang fan mounted to custom mounts for the Camaro radiator that JTR says to use. Yeah, a Griffin would be great insurance, and I advise going that route, but I got a deal on this rad and I'm going to give it a go. Check my web page HERE to see how I mounted it. Not alot of detail, but the method of mounting will be different since I have the custom top radiator bracket the fan is mounted to.

Whatever radiator you get, try to get the connector and wiring that went with it. Even get teh control module, as it has some nice high current relays in it to use with the fan. The Mustang fan I have pulls 35 amps at 12 volts! Nothing to sneeze at. Use 10 gage or larger wire, or the fan won't get enough juice, if the wiring is long at all.

As for thermostats for the fan, JET products (available from speed shops, Jeg's, etc.) have fan switches in several temperature ranges that thread into SAE pipe thread holes on GM V8s.

Randy 77zt - when did the TSB replacement fan start coming on the production Mustang GT? I'm wondering if I bought my fan new from Ford in 99 and I asked for a 98 GT Mustang fan, did I get the new design (the TSB'd design) or the old one. Can you get me a part number on the TSB replacement fan? Thanks.

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited January 04, 2001).]

I got that top mount, the bottom mounts and the rad (almost new) from Jim Biondo for about $50! The top mount is just two pieces of Al sheet, about 1/8" thick, welded together in an L shape cross section, with tabs for mounting a fan. The outside corner weld joint that's visible was ground smooth. I got it and then "brushed" it with some rough sandpaper.

Hey randy 77zt, you are right on about the Taurus fan. I picked one up from the wrecker yesterday off a '92. I was shocked at how well it fits the Camaro radiator. Actually, here is another little tip. I couldn't find the small Camaro radiator in my area. I did find an almost identical one that came from an '86 V6 Chevy Van. The only difference is that the van one has a petcock on the driver side. It is slightly wider at the bottom because of this. I had to shave off a few of the plastic fins on one tank to make it fit. I have the JTR kit with the lower radiator mount. I will have to modify it a little too to attach to the bottom of the frame rails instead of the top. More work than a petcock is worth, but I just couldn't find that Camaro radiator. Just wanted to throw that in if anyone else is having the same problem.

Dan, in my neck of the woods there did not seem to be a lack of Camaro radiators. I pulled mine out about a year ago, because I freaked when I found one, and then every time I go to the yard now I find 1980's Camaro's with the radiators in them! All the "pick-yur-part" type places are stripped, but the smaller less chaotic places seem have them. There are yards in Hayward and Fremont/Newark. I paid about $70 for mine--perhaps too much, but what the hey.