HybridZ

Adding wieght to my car... belive it or not!

Im not super serious about the wieght of my car like some folks are. Im way to far into creature comforts. I thought I would share my latest endeavour with you guys.

My car is about to undergo a serious stereo installation. I am going to compete mecca this coming summer in sound quality competitions with my z. I love music and my z, so i figured why not mix them. The local shop is making me killer deals on equipment to do my car because they want their name on it.

My system will be very stealth, yet showy. Its very hard to describe the process but ill be sure to post up all my pictures when the fun begins!

Just thought i would share this with you guys!

Evan

PS, i am using phaze audio tube driver amps (yes tubes) so i should be pushing around 900 watts. And a full array of focal speakers. They are also building custom kicks for my car in the front for the speakers. They showed me what they plan to do, its pretty awesome.

Are you also going to put one of those retractable TV's in it too? It's the kind that looks like a stereo then it slips out, folds up then becomes a TV screen w/ regular tv channels, DVD and navigation system and you can hook up a Nintendo or Playstation too. eek.gif

I think Kenwood and Alpine makes them. I dunno' about your wallet but the car would look cool. biggrin.gif

Evan, interested in your stealth approach. I want just decent tunes in my Z, but I'd like it to be clean and efficent.

Tubes, bud, I love tubes. I loved my old Fender Tube Amp, Les Paul (copy), heck even the Peavey Mace Tube amp was kick a$$.... Fuzz box, who needs a stinking fuzz box, just turn up the tube amp! Oops, sorry for the flashback... my old age is showing again... rolleyes.gif

Nah, no tv or navigational crap in my car. I dont need or want any of that. I am going for pure sound quality. Simple to a certain extent, and sound to beat all hondas. Im all about sound. Home theater doesnt really interest me either. I could afford to do the slide out TV but the way i have it figured im into this thing for around 2500 without that stuff. I got a smokin deal on equipment. That is retail price on my amps alone with no speakers or install work (I am doing most of the install).

Pete, tubes have a sound that is almost indescribable. The mellow feel and sound is just awesome. The amps i am using have a pair of tubes in both input boards (mosfet amps), tubes in the line driver (uses 7v signal thru balanced cables) and my xover is also packin like 4 tubes. The system is just amazing. We switched from some ADS equipment to the phaze audio (no longer avail.) and the sound change is just amazing. I cant wait to get the stuff into my car!

Evan

PS pete, my next aquisition for my home stereo will probabally be a McIntosh C-22 tube preamp smile.gif Man i love tubes!!!

quote:

Originally posted by pparaska:

Evan, interested in your stealth approach. I want just decent tunes in my Z, but I'd like it to be clean and efficent.

I just did a stealth stereo install in my Z last winter (every winter has to have a project, right?). It was not 'show quality', but I am very pleased with the results. I used a pair of Infinity kappa series 10" subs, and Polk speakers in the doors and in the stock speaker location. Not nearly as high-end as what Evan was talking about, but they are quite impressive, nontheless.

The part that I am most proud of was the enclosure for the subs. I built it from 3/4" MDF, integrated it into the tool box area, and managed to get the proper box volume for the speakers, while keeping the entire thing _under_ the package deck. At first glance, it looks totally stock. The woofers fire forward, behind the seats.

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures while I was putting it all together, but I'll try to get some of the finished product, sometime,if anybody is interested.

Timz, you must share with me man. Thats pretty much the same trick im using in my car. I will be using a false floor in the back to hide my amps and crossover under glass. My subs will be behind the seats in fiberglass enclosures, and i will cut straight into the toolbox for some more volume. I had considered using the rear deck like you say but i wanted to keep that area for my amps and it hides wires etc.. very well.

I wanna see pictures, i havent actually started the install so any insight i can gain through others would be badazz!

Thanks- Evan

PS, i understand it seems as if im going crazy, but the prices im gettin on equipment are so good that i cant pass it up. Im a sucker for zcars and audio equipment, therfore this project has expensive spit all over it LOL

PSS... anyone ever heard the song "Echidna's arf" off of george duke "the aura will prevail"? Damn good song. Too bad cant get it on CD, glad i have a good turntable smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Just a little advice that you can ignore if you like, but if you are using subs and pumping them with any kind of authority, consider the hearing loss that might occur. Take it from a old musician, continued pounding of the ear drums will cause hearing lose. You've seen speaker cones move? Your ear drum does the same in reverse and its more sensitive.

Not to be a party pooper or sound like the old fart (and no I'm not necessarily against hip hop or sub woofer bass drums although to my ear they sound artificial and are not reproduced naturally by any instrument with the same exaggeration in the low frequency as sub woofers produce), but if you don't want to go 'Huh?' alot when your older, consider either earplugs or turn it down to a decent level. (if your ears a ringing, it probably ain't a good thing..)

Off soap box.

Lone

I absolutely agree lone. Your soapbox is very well warranted. I am doing sound quality competition. Totally differernt from SPL. Spl is where you try to blow the windows out of your car faster than the next guy. Sound quality is all about just that... sound quality. Light crisp highs, good soundstage and bass reinforcment. They basically put a cd in your player and listen for staging and sound acuracy. Im not tryin to build a 150db system.... quite the contrary actually. I will have 900w of power on tap. But i will most likely use only like 200 of it.. if i cranked the gain id smoke every speaker in the car. The extra power is purely to keep the amps running at thier most efficent point and keep the S/N ratio to a minimum smile.gif

Thanks lone, i apreciate the soapbox.

Evan

Evan,

Sounds like that is going to be a great system. When I first bought my z 10 years ago I bought a carpet box with 2 10s Rockford Fosgates. I got rid of them a few months later as there wasn't enough room to fit anything else back there. Now I'm looking for a more stealth look like you are fabricating. Be sure to take pictures of the process so the rest of us can steal some ideas wink.gif

------------------

http://communities.msn.com/TurboZ

Guest Anonymous

Evan,

Good deal. Now a days people seem to want to go after the loudest system, not necesarily the best sounding system. Apologies for making that assumption. Sounds like it'll be a great system. A system that will reproduce a good string section impresses me much more than a sub bass.

Good luck,

Lone

Hey guys you better belive that there will be full pictures accompyaning this install. I may not have pictures of the kickpanels because im not fabbing them though.

Lone, yes the shop that im working with is holding the state record for highest SPL with 300w amp. 148.5 db. They conned me into sitting in his car for a listen. Bass was amazing, never ever dealt with anything like it. Unfortunately it sounded like crap otherwise!

Anywho, thanks for your interest guys. If you wanna help fund my project you can buy my black hatch carpet out of the for sale section HAHAHAH.

Thanks all- Evan

I'm interested too! I had a false floor type thing in the Mustang once - until thieves made off with it (sigh). The RX7 has a killer system in it too and even had a TV type deal before I bought it - I had the previous owner remove it because it was too hard to use! Hitting it in 1st, 3rd, and 5th sucked too. The Alpine NAV system would've been nice but I understand their maps stink. I've got a Garmin EMap and have added maps to it - works for me smile.gif

Do please document this install. I'm especially interested in seeing what you wind up with up front. I've got holes cut in my doors but not my panels and am real tempted to do something nice with a stereo in this car down the road. The Mustang hasn't had a system since the last one was stolen, 3K in equipment and many hours of my labor 9 years ago...

Nav system aint my style! I love being lost way too much LOL. Seriously though i do get lost ALOT. Couldnt find my way out of a paper bag with a flamethrower to be honest.....

Anyway, dont worry there will be a full write up on my website for anyone who is interested to look. It will not be finished till late spring (minimum) cause i dont have the money to start the install or buy my drivers for that matter.

I promise to share though. My shop insists on building me custom kick panels. Ill see what they wanna do. I may have them fab new door panels if i dont like choice A. I dont wannna be stickin my foot into a 200 dollar driver everytme i put my foot down either!

Evan