HybridZ

Need help from the TPI guys

Dan Juday

I know you guys are out there. Maybe we need a dedicated TPI/TBI forum.

Here is my question: I have all my wires finally sorted out except one. You guessed it, the Park/Neutral switch. Here is my twist. The motor had an automatic behind it in the TA I robbed it from. I bolted a T5 in its place. Now, I would like to wire in a SES light just to let me know things are all right. If I ground it, according to the JTR-TPI/TBI book it won't run right. If I cap it the book says the light will stay on.

What do I do guys?

check engine light i would guess.i would leave it open circuit for 5 speed.if you ground it it will throw a code because ecm will see vss speeding up when car is supposed to be parked.you could put a switc on the clutch pedal to ground it but this would be overkill.if you have a problem with chevy you will probably get better response it chevy swap forum.

Thanks guys, yes, SES-Service Engine Soon, or Check Engine light. Do you know what Chevy does? Is the ECM for a 5 speed different than for an auto? I realize I may be nit picking here, and should just leave the dumb light out. I'm new to fooling around with FI motors. How do I access the computer codes to see if everything is operating properly? What kind of equipment do I need? Along that same line, I'm installing the ALDL connector, and I have two wires on the connector that don't go to the motor. Do I need these? Any help is appreciated. I will re-post on the Chevy board if I don't many responses here.

Dan

Guest Anonymous

Dan, I have a '91 Camaro TBI drivetrain in my Z. I have an auto, so I have the park/neutral switch hooked up. Per the JTR book and other's comments I would leave that wire capped w/ the manual trans. I did not install a SES light, but do have the ALDL connector intact. I just plug it in to a scantool once in a while to check for codes. As to wires going to the connector, terminal A is ECM ground, B is diagnostic test terminal, C is to A.I.R. (emissions), E is serial data, and F is to T.C.C. (auto trans).

Terminals A and B are needed to access engine codes, that much I know. How much your TPI differs from my TBI, I'm not sure.

I used www.alldatadiy.com for wiring diagrams and alot more pertaining to the Camaro. It's 20 bucks for a years access, but worth it IMHO. You also get all service bulletins for a given vehicle (interesting reading). I hope my rambling is of some help! And remember....you're not alone. I've been in your shoes, so ask away!

Jeff

------------------

'71 240

'91 TBI 305,700R4 w/ shift kit

Thanks Jeff,

Well you asked for it. Wiring the cooling fan. The tpi uses two fans. I will be using the two speed taurus fan. There are basicly three wires to the motor(s), main fan, aux fan, and ground. The problem is that the Chevy powers both fans at the same time sometimes. The Ford is either-or, high or low but not both at once or you fry the motor. Everybody following this? So, I can wire the relays in series, (the contacts) and use the normally closed set on the aux relay to turn off the main fan when the aux is powered. Everybody lost now? So, the only problem would be if for some reason the ECM would power the aux without the main on first. Does anybody know if this could happen?

Guest Anonymous

Your welcome Dan, I wired my Black Magic fan using it's own thermostat. Any fan you choose doesn't have to be ECM controlled. I believe that most aux./secondary fans are activated by AC use, so depending on your application I would think you could control the fans any way you wanted to. Just a reminder...not all has to be controlled by the ECM/brain.

Jeff

------------------

'71 240

'91 TBI 305,700R4 w/ shift kit