HybridZ

Honda Wiper Motor Upgrade

I'm thinking about doing the Honda wiper motor swap in my '79 280zx. I have found some good threads and links about doing this in earlier models and think that I can make it work in my '79. I was wondering it anyone has figured out the problem with the wipers not stopping at the "home position". These are the best links I've found for this mod: For some reason I can't get it to work, but the best link is the fist link in this link-http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103755&highlight=honda+wiper+upgrade, http://www.zcar.com/forums/read/1/570239/570239#msg-570239.

I wanted to make a comment here and Ill possibly make a thread pertaining to the issue. But I don't understand why people switch out for the Honda motor.

Ive have both and have taken them apart and compared the two. IMO the nissan unit from the 70's is larger and looks to be made just as good is not better really.

I found the reason that mine did work was corrosion on the wiper driveshaft of the motor. The armature and brushes were all in great shape. They are easy to take apart if you knock the driveshaft out, clean it with fine grit sand paper, lube it up and reassemble it is good as new. My wipers arent as fast as a new car but Im happy with them.

I'm not sure how fast your talking about when you say a stock motor in good shape but here in a link to a video of a guy who did the mod and it seems allot faster than the old corroded one that I had. lol

I'm trying contact the guy to get more info on how to fix the homing problem. I'll post whatever I find.

Here it is!

Ok, I finally found the info after hours of searching and reading. http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=82292&highlight=wiper+upgrade&page=9 is the link that will tell you how to do the install in post #177, on the previous page (page 8) in post #155, he has wiring diagrams to show you how to wire up the relay to fix the homing problem. I hope the thread helps cut some time down for anyone wading through all the posts looking for the right info.

I did this to my 240Z and it works great! The Honda motor is a little faster than a normal Z motor in good shape, and is easier to get and cheaper. If you luck out and get the Civic one that already has the correct shape it is much easier to put in, but you have to hunt for those ones. I found one after looking in about 20 Hondas and put it in. Before that I had one I ground the shaft on and while it worked fine, I ground the shaft at slightly the wrong angle and the wipers wouldn't rest in the right place.

Greg