HybridZ

Differential rear member mounting bolts

Hey guys,

While upgrading to poly bushings in the rear of my '71 240z, I noticed something odd about the bolts that attach the differential rear member to the underside of the car (the bolts right next the the rear shock towers). They seem to be tapered and look like they have been machined. The bushing is able to move around and I get a knocking sound from the rear during hard braking. Are the bolts supposed to be tapered? The kid I bought the car from didn't seem to know much about it. Has anyone needed to replace these before? Since I don't have my camera handy, I drew a picture and included a diagram of which bushings I'm talking about. It is at number 3 in the diagram.

bushing-full;init:.jpg

diagram-full;init:.jpg

Well, I guess that's good and bad news. The search continues for the source of the knock. The knock only comes from the passenger side. I have replaced all the rear end bushings and torqued everything down and I cant seem to pinpoint it.

I have Tokico gas shocks and springs that lower the car about 1.5 inches. I'm thinking there might be an angled gap at the interface between the inside of the shock tower and the top of the shock.