HybridZ

Rear window defrost repair

jeromio

Done it on other cars - not Zs. Someone had trimmed the tint and cut MANY of the defrog lines...

Permatex sells a TINY jar of tanbrown "paint" that can be used to restore the connections. To do it right you'll want to mask the lines and paint between them. However - I'd suggest that you use an Ohmeter to test the existing lines as there's probably more breaks than you realize. Mine are pretty thrashed on my car and I doubt I'll be getting it working anytime soon (sigh). That's like last on my list right now smile.gif

It's been very rainy here and not being able to see out the rear window is a hardship. My defrost used to work (Well, obviously, what I mean is that it worked last rainy season...).

I can see at least one definate break and one iffy spot. It's got juice going to it, but it doesn't have continuity between the connectors.

The masking is a good idea.

------------------

240Z.jeromio.com

Try it out man, it worked for me. If you mask the repairs will be straight and not look like some kid with a crayon did them. I'll have to look at mine, I don't even know where the wires up front are for it - that switch was being used for the fan frown.gif

My rear defroster lines are so shot, it is not worth the paint efforts. Anyone heard of a complete regrid kit? Seems like you could scrap the existing lines off and start anew.

------------------

Lee Baker

Triangle Z Club

'71 240, '78 280, '81 ZXT, '83 ZX

I had the carpet up when I did my Sterio/Speakers...didnt really follow the wiring so I dont know if the rear hatch wiring goes from the quarters to the rear hatch or if the rear hatch gets its power from the same source as the Interior Light.

However, if you are not getting power to the rear hatch there is a Rear Wdw.Defogger Relay in the passenger side kick panel just forward & above the fuse panel; its next to a couple other relays.

If you have a Datsun Service Manual for your car-go to it as there is a section on how to test the Defogger & repair the rear grid if needed.

My rear wdw.defogger is also inop/not getting power to it(!) & it is not on the top of my list either/yet, we (N.Texas) have been getting a lot of rain & it is a safety problem not always being able to see "clearly" out the rear window! Might have to push it futher up the top of the list after all.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)