HybridZ

Wheel track measurement with Subtle Z

I've been asking around for maximum track width measurement with the Subtle Z flares (not from the usual center of tire to center of tire, but outside of tire to outside of tire). I got the answer of 66 inches on the rear thanks to 74_5.0L_Z and estimated .5-1" wider on the front. Does anybody have the exact measurment for the front though? I want to know so I can start designing my suspension.

The SubtleZ and 280YZ front fenders are not good comparisons. Besides the obvious difference in overall width, the shape of the two designs are quite different.

The YZ kit was designed for race cars with substantially lowered suspensions. The tires will tuck well up into the fender under compression without rubbing.

The SubtleZ kit was designed as an subtle exageration of the stock fenders. The front fenders are basicly pulled out from the fender lip. From the top of the lip to the crest of the fender is mostly a straight line. So the design dose not allow a lot of tire room above the lip to tuck in under compression.

So there are several factors to consider: ride height, tire size, suspension travel.

My recommendation is that if you like the SubtleZ kit than buy it and mount it and design your suspension around it. Measurements alone likely will not provide you with enough information.

As Dan Juday stated, "there are sevaral factor to consider" when designing the front track width for use with the SubtleZ front fenders. On mine, the front track is 66". I am using the FA slicks which are very short (22.9") mounted on 15x10 wheels. I posted pictures elsewhere to show how they fit and looked on the car. I'll post a few more here:

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

At 66", it looks like I have a little bit of clearance at the front tires, but you need a little wiggle room to allow for suspension motion while the wheels are turned.

I was gonna assume that it should be designed with 3" of bump in mind as an average figure right? I had a little sketch with the size tires I was planning but I can't seem to find it. I don't remember exactly the diameter. What I was thinking is since I'm gonna do a double wishbone suspension then I can get the lengths of the arms and proper angels to get the camber gain and roll center height I want and make sure the roll center stays the same height during suspension travel. As far as the ride height that needs to be set so the tire doesn't hit the fenders, that would just be changing the mounting location on the chassis. That's just what I've been able to think about, I am very aware that I am forgetting other factors that others can tell me about.