HybridZ

Has anyone used the nissan 5 speed trans ?

Howdy Z People,

I thought I had read somewhere that you can use the standard trans on a hybrid Z. Has anyone done this? If so what is its torque limit.

It would also seem that most of you have use a kit or the JTR instructions to do your swaps. Has anyone out there done it on there own? I am mainly interested in getting the engine as back as far as it can.

Douglas

i dont think its wise to use the nissan five speed tranny behind a v8, if that was your intention. its pretty easy to locate trannies for them. which tranny from nissan do you mean, if its from a 300zxtt or a skyline, they should work, but bolting them up and making it talk to a v8 right doesnt sound like fun.....

The JTR "kit" puts the motor back as far as it can go. In my case I can still see soem of the bellhousing bolts and have a little room to go further if I wished but I have chosen not to - it's less than 2 inches I'd say. I know I didn't use up all of the "slot" on my crossmember so I'm not sure why it didn't end up further back. (shrug). My driveshaft dimensions are about the same as everyone else's though so it's certainly not further forward than normal. My site has some pics that should help you see just how far back it is and I can take more if that's desired. (shrug) If I had used a regualr HEI I'd have been right against the firewall I'm pretty sure - I'm using a small cap Accel distributor with magnetic pickup etc.

You don't have to buy the mounts from JTR (I did though). The book from JTR (a MUST have!) gives the dimensions for everything. The only part they aren't clear about is th eNeapco adapter that's used for th edriveshaft connection to the R200 rear - and we all know that number. Everything else they tell you aboout can be sourced anywhere you wish. When done the car balances well and if you use enough aluminum parts is about the same weight as before the swap. MSA's new mounts may also put the engine all the way back. There's NO advantage to trying to figure this part of the swap out yourself unless it's a motor other than a SBC - it won't end up further back.

P.S. Forget the Nissan T5. Even a T5 made for a V8 is somewhat fragile (ask a Ford guy) and the Nissan trannies don't benefit from many of the improvements the V8 ones do.

[ June 30, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, assuming the nissan tranny in question is a T5 (can't recall if you mentioned it was, so forgive a bad memory if you did), it probably won't hold up to the power real well, you would have to probably make up your own clutch package depending on if the Nissan T5 will even bolt to the chevy bellhousing as the input shaft might be a different length and spline. My advice would be to sell your current engine and tranny and use it to help you bankroll a V8/World Class T5 for your swap. Its documented, theres loads of help here on the forum with it and with average mechanical skills its easy to do. Just a opinion.

Regards,

Lone

Thanks guys,

Most of the chev engines I have seen in this part of the world have auto boxes. I dont do autos and corvettes and camoros or similar are very thin on the ground for parts around here. I sure I will come up with some thing. This is a couple of years away. I need to finish my corolla race car first.

BTW has anyone looked into the toyata v12. It is in the japan only century and puts out 280 hp with 400ft of torque. I bet it would sound great. The chev would be way cheeper though.

Cheers

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

You could get ahold of Conversion Components Limited in Nz or (sorry theres another large rod shop in Aus. I believe that does the supra bellhousing conversion too, but they're name escapes me at the moment) and get a Chevy to Supra 5sp box bellhousing. It would work rather well and have enough strength for the Chevy (Holden?) motor. Even the Rover is a good little motor and probably more readly available there. See this website: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~zedskid/ if you havn't already for details on that swap.

I'm sure the V12 is nice, and like most V12's would sound awesome, never see it here in the states though I'd bet. I'd like to see that VW motor Bugatti is thinking about using (there was a member that posted the article recently) redesigned from a W16 to a W12 configuration, that would be pretty slick, basically twin v6's side by side using the narrow VR6 VW heads. Oh well, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Cheers,

Lone

I agree with you Lone, in that part of the world, it almost makes more sense to go Rover V8 because of better parts availability. The Holden/Chevy/GM is better here for trannies and such, but oh, the power of 5.7L+!!!! Still, the Rover V8 is a tight little engine and can be modified to put out great power.

Davy

Douglas,

Welcome to the HybridZ forum. This is the best place to ask questions regarding swapping motors in your Z car. I urge you to use the "search" function and look in the archives for past threads that cover common topics.

When it comes to doing the swap "yourself" without the help of JTR or anything else, Myron did it--and it was a ton of work. I don't know if his car was any "better" because he did the swap all by his lonesome. Read his comments about his ride in the "Featured Cars" section.

Why even try to use the Nissan T5 behind a V8? What is the point? You would have to specially fabricate the input and output shafts and then cobble something that will work how it bolts up to the bellhousing. Way too much time & money wasted for something that inevitably will self-destruct. It's far cheaper to use GM parts with GM parts, Ford parts with Ford parts, etc. Good luck with your conversion.

Davy

[ June 30, 2001: Message edited by: DavyZ ]