HybridZ

T56 and Exhaust routing

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I am going to try and get my exhaust re-routed this weekend, but after surveying it, I'm wondering how to get around that slave cyl.? Anyone have any installed pics of they're solution? I believe it was Owen (If it wasn't you, sorry I couldn't find the thread) and I kicked it around a bit and he mentioned possibly routing it down the passenger side by the starter (left hand pipe cuts under the high point on the oil pan and meets the pipe on the other side and then out as a big single exhaust). Any idea's, I don't want to have to do this a third time (even as fun as it is... smile.gif ) Any idea's, thoughts, offhand comments, theories or anything that would be useful would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Lone

------------------

http://datsun240v8z.virtualave.net/index.html

Well what you propose should work as that's typical 4th gen (ala t56) exhaust routing, sqeezing a decent pipe under your pan and proximity their along with any potential required O2 sensors/wiring could be a consideration. I'd like to have my new exhaust done in a manner that I could go to a T56 without much trouble (friend with a sweet turbo'd 4th gen is going to yank his t56 w/ Mcleod and Ripper sometime here smile.gif ).

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Ross, I think thats the route I'm going to go. I took some snapshots under the car and theres tons more room on that side. The right header will make a 90 and go right into the Y pipe, the other comes under the low part of the pan, one more 90 and into the Y also. Big pipe down the right, S bend and under the diff into the stock location.

Thanks for the info about the 4th gen. I went to a site and saw they're header setup and it was as you said. Pictures when I get it up in there.

Later,

Lone

Lone, you have come to the right place for an offhanded comment!!! smile.gif

Seriously, I have nothing to add except this: thank you for paving the way for me to save money by letting you make the mistakes before I do, and then fully documenting (with pictures no less!) all your painstaking work for FREE. Man I love you.

Sincerely,

David

[This message has been edited by DavyZ (edited April 16, 2001).]

Lone,

You were right, it's me youre talking about in your first post.

Driver block hugger to 90 degree bend under oil pan towards passenger side and meets passenger side block hugger. Both go into a single pipe tucked up into the tunnel. Sub frame connector is lower than the piping up until about where the rear shelf inside the car is.

I am kinda worried about heat under the pan, but coated the pipes many times with heat paint. Pipes are 3 inch diameter. I also heard of some people hitting the pan on high bumps and stuff, part of the pipe is lower than the deep part of the pan...maybe oval or rectangle tubing is an option???

I should have some more pix up on my site later on.

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, waiting for it to warm up today and then get it up and look at it. I think it'll fly ok, but yeah the pan is a concern for sure, as is, the T56 and the bottom of the pan are about even.

I think once I have coil overs I am going to raise it up a bit, may look and handle a little worse (well not worse, but not quite optimal), but I can't afford knocking the pan and/or flywheel off on anything to low. Probably close to stock ride height (which it isn't now due to the added weight).

Thanks for the response, and the idea btw, much appreciated. I hope this is the last time I'll have to address this problem for a while, cause tack welding exhausts under the car while laying on your back is, well something I'd rather not do to many more times... smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited April 14, 2001).]

If you have critical accessories lower than your xmember or v. close to it (ie. pan/headers/Ypipe) you may consider adding some wedge shaped steel additions to the bottom of your xmember to act like skidplates so that if you ever do find something too high at speed it serves to help 'skip' you over it without sacrificing your pan/motor/exhaust and at lower speeds/crawl it may just tell you to back up and find another route (ie. a bad entrance ramp/speed bump). Local guy has this to protect some custom headers he built on his V8z. He used HSS rectangular tubing and cut a wedge (ie. upside down shark fin) with flat part on xmember and two resulting fins per wedge (one per header/pipe) protruding down.

------------------

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

Guest Anonymous

Curb finders.. haha, yeah I need one of those on the front of my air dam, I can never judge where the end of the car is, seems like just when I'm thinking to stop, I hear it contacting parking curbs.. rolleyes.gif

Air bag suspension would be cool, like the rods, drop it low for profiling, higher for regular cruising..

Lone

Ps: The skid plate isn't a bad idea at all, I may look into that if it can be done without it getting even lower (other than the thickness of whatever size plate is used..)