HybridZ

Radiator support

Owen

I know Mike Kelly changed his radiator support and someone else was asking a question on this to gain clearance for intake tubing.

The very first time I pulled the engine, I thought, "damn, if this rad. support wasn't here..."

So my question is, what if I were to just cut the support off and replace it with a bar that is removable? Sort of like a strut tower bar. This would make installing and removing the engine soooo easy!

Owen

Quite an intriguing idea Owen. You planning numerous removal and installs icon_smile.gif

My main concern would be having a flexible connection such as the stock setup. I had an offset front end collision with another vehicle last year and I was v. surprised at how well my ZX took the impact. A big factor in my being able to keep the car was the vast majority of damage took place fwd of my crossmember with that area twisting and getting 'kinked' sideways. It was then that I learned about various features in the inner fenders and other areas that absorb and crumple preventing significant load transmission further back in the chassis. Might not be a concern at all for others but I had a serious head on impact on pass. front and I'm not sure how it would've worked out if that area was significantly stiffened/more rigid. Would it transfer more force into the ****pit and cause twist back their.....I love your idea but that's just one concern I'd have/whether well founded or not