HybridZ

Windshield wiper linkage torsion spring

I'm reassembling my windshield wiper assembly on my '70 Z after replating all of the parts, and the torsion spring on the pivot assembly at the motor/gearbox is broken. I also have 2 other windshield wiper assemblies which have the same broken spring. This is evidently a common thing?

I did a search of all of the windshield wiper related issues and found nothing.

I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the purpose of that whole spring assembly? I've analyzed it and can only figure that it might be for protection of the motor and gearbox if the wipers were frozen to the windshield or something. Part of the problem with my analysis process is that I don't know how or where exactly the spring ends attach since the ends are broken off all of three of the springs which I have.

2. Does anyone have pictures of a good assembly and unbroken spring so I can see what the spring is supposed to look like and how it attaches?

In talking with Z resto shops, I'm told that the whole arm assembly is NLA, which is the way it has been repaired by most in the past. I think I can manufacture a spring if I know exactly what it is supposed to look like and where the ends attach. I'd also be willing to buy a good spring if anyone has one.

Here is a link to pictures of the assembly portion I'm referring to:

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/n...ield%20wipers/

The pics are acually from two different assemblies that I've taken apart.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I went through the same thing restoring my 1972 240Z. I had 3 sets of wiper linkage and all had broken springs. It's been a few years, but I came to the conclusion this was related to the way the wipers park at a lower position when the mechanism is reversed. The cam action of this joint allows the different travel between forward and reverse. I decided the spring was to take the slop out of the assembly (eccessive lash?) to prevent clunkyness when reversing direction. At the time, I wanted to find an intact spring or original design drawing to have it reproduced but could not find any. I cut new felt washers from 1/8 felt I bought from McMaster-Carr, greased everything up, and put it back together without the spring. The good news is that mine have worked just fine for several years and once continuously for about 4 hours in a driving rain storm. I have no noises or clunks and my wipers reverse and park perfectly every time. My car: http://home.comcast.net/~heimsothtn/240Z.htm

Steve.

• 3 years later...

Hello

I am happy to help! I also have had the issue of what to do with the broken spring on my '73 240z. This week I was rummaging for parts and found a wiper motor which was intact without the spring being broken! Needless to say I disassembled it and have an answer for you.

The first picture shows the order of the parts as they go onto the wiper motor. Please note the spring. It wraps round the offest cam and is keyed with a portion of the spring directed through the hole on the washer plate see pictures two and three. I believe the use of the spring is to help turn the cam clockwise and counter clockwise while allowing the cam to move free when the windshield wipers are pulled by gas station attendants.

good luck with your repair!

Jim

I'm reassembling my windshield wiper assembly on my '70 Z after replating all of the parts, and the torsion spring on the pivot assembly at the motor/gearbox is broken. I also have 2 other windshield wiper assemblies which have the same broken spring. This is evidently a common thing?

I did a search of all of the windshield wiper related issues and found nothing.

I have a couple of questions:

1. What is the purpose of that whole spring assembly? I've analyzed it and can only figure that it might be for protection of the motor and gearbox if the wipers were frozen to the windshield or something. Part of the problem with my analysis process is that I don't know how or where exactly the spring ends attach since the ends are broken off all of three of the springs which I have.

2. Does anyone have pictures of a good assembly and unbroken spring so I can see what the spring is supposed to look like and how it attaches?

In talking with Z resto shops, I'm told that the whole arm assembly is NLA, which is the way it has been repaired by most in the past. I think I can manufacture a spring if I know exactly what it is supposed to look like and where the ends attach. I'd also be willing to buy a good spring if anyone has one.

Here is a link to pictures of the assembly portion I'm referring to:

http://s301.photobucket.com/albums/n...ield%20wipers/

The pics are acually from two different assemblies that I've taken apart.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Terry

post-29130-059841900 1340858879_thumb.jpg

post-29130-048802500 1340858910_thumb.jpg

post-29130-000143600 1340858942_thumb.jpg