HybridZ

Whacky gauge behavior

Owen

My Autometer Sport Comp oil temp gauge is whacked...when I turn the key to "on", the needle jumps all the way to the highest reading and stays there.

What gives? Is there a short somewhere? I have not changed any wiring for this gauge that I know of.

Thanks,

Owen

Guest Anonymous

Owen,

I'm pretty sure its shorting to ground. My water temp sender did that after I swapped the engine in and was reading maxed out ( icon_eek.gif ), and it ended up being the connector on the pressure sender was bent down and was contacting the outside of the sender body (ground). I pulled it up and havn't had any problems. I'd look for a short to ground somewhere between the gauge and the sender.

Hope it helps,

Lone

They actually had no idea? Geez, on an electrical gauge that measures resistance the FIRST thing I'd figure they would think of would be a short. Zero resistance is going to peg the gauge in one direction or another. Sheesh!

Guest Anonymous

Good thing it wasn't a microsoft tech, they would have told you to turn the car off for five minutes and try restarting it... icon_smile.gif

Lone