HybridZ

LS1 Fuel Tanks 98 vs. 99-02

Guest Gr8White

Guest Gr8White

Hi Guys,

Other than the obvious difference in the 98 LS1 tank being metal and the later (99-02) tanks being Nylon, what are they key differences that I need to note when installing a 98 tank on my 78 Z? One difference that I did notice was the lack of a fill bucket on the 98 tank and I believe all of the later models came with the fill buckets? The tanks appear to be identical dimensionally. I couldn't find any good comparison threads in my searches, thus the question. Thanks, any help or info would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
Guest Gr8White
Bump...

BBZ, as you can see I didn't get any input here but have done some experimenting on my own and doing some searching tor bits and pieces of info. I already have the 98 tank installed in my 78 using 2 x 1 x .120" tubing and making my own straps. The metal fuel filler neck was a concern for me at first, I wanted to use the stock filler location. After fiddling around and mocking everything up, I bit the bullet and cut the filler on the tank approximately 1 1/2 to 2" from the tank inlet. I used a 90 degree and 135 degree 2" ID fuel hose (coupled together with a short piece of 2" exhaust tubing) and it fits the filler neck perfectly, no kinks. You have to cut both pieces down a bit until you get the shape needed, but it was pretty easy. I have the Gates hose part #'s if you would like them and can take some digital shots if you would like them along with some accurate dimensions for my cuts. I've tested it and have no leaks. Is this the best way to do it? I dunno that either, but I think it will work fine.

I am converting my 06 LS2 returnless fuel system (GTO Engine) to a return style, while I haven't done any line routing or mockups. I believe the 98 LS1 from the Camaro donor car uses a return style system anyway (99 up uses the returnless style from what I read) and it will be a fairly simple matter with an Aeromotive regulator. How much the return style tank helps me with my conversion I don't know, but I plan on getting some Camaro shop manual excerpts to see what I can use and can plug up from the in tank setup and lines. I will be running stainless lines.

The 2 x 1 rectangular tubing I used for my tank mount might be overkill, then again maybe not. I'm a drag racer, so at least the additional weight is in the right spot...

The worst part of the whole conversion was probably cutting out the spare tire well!

Let me know if you want some pics and I'll see what I can do for you.

-Will