HybridZ

Carbon fiber air dam on ebay

KenshinX

Has anyone purchased this airdam from this seller or similar I have not heard or seen a carbon fiber variation before. How would CF hold up to rock chips compared to poly-urathane or fiberglass? does it sag like poly urathane? all advice welcome considering this airdam.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-240Z-260Z-70-74-B-Road-Carbon-Fiber-Front-Lip_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a1Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem35a19d2deeQQitemZ230344699374QQptZRaceQ5fCarQ5fParts

I don't know about chips but I'm sure it won't sag because isn't carbon fiber a replacement for steel in certain applications? The chassis of an F1 car is carbon fiber, no? But personally even though I LOVE the look of CF I don't want to have any of it (at least not showing) on my car because in my mind that's just telling walker-bys "I'm very expensive, break my window to see whats inside" lol. Just my personal opinion though, I'm paranoid of things like that because of the stories I hear and how so many teens these days do dumb things.

B-Road makes pretty high quality parts. I have used a few items from them on an fc3s RX-7 I owned.

Carbon fiber is nice and strong and light. It holds up to rock chips very well just as good if not better then fiberglass. it also will not sag like poly items do.

the only drawbacks to CF that I have found is A. when it is mounted securely it is brittle and a good hit will shatter it and it isnt repairable unless you want it painted. but when my brother had his c west cf s15 conversion on his s13 he would hit prking blocks and it would rebound his car off the block.

and B. Depending on the clear coat quality it will eventually discolor and peel meaning you will have to wetsnd the hood and shoot it with a high quality clear.]

hope that helps,

Matt

ps here is pic of my bros's s13 the fenders are the B-Road strawberry face s15 fenders very high quality

Dan_RPS_13_5_4_thumb.jpg

Edited by drift_inertia
added pic

Thanks guys. I'm just trying to find a alternative to fiberglass. In my area the roads are terrible and I know it wouldnt last a month. As far as poly urathane my worry is the sagging...

I had an incident with a HUGE chunk of concrete and a pothole; on the way to school on a exit ramp and it shattered my airdam to pieces. Right now I am in the process of getting reinbursed through the city to avoid paying a $500 insurance deductable..

You could get the a flexible urethane one and thing have radiator ducting and a splitter made from sheets of aluminum to keep it from sagging and not to mention greatly improve aero. And Drift Inertia, that's a lot of CF, did it really bounce the car back after hitting curbs? How hard were they hit and how hard did they bounce back?

I have a urethane one. By sagging do you mean while your driving around it being pushed down by the force of the air? If so no worries... just put in a few braces. Search "reinforcing the xenon airdam" I made a thread showing a simple brace you can make.

Grim,

It is alot of CF lol

As far as bouncing the car back, it never did it at speed, but we did hit numerous prking blocks nd curbs at anywhere between 1 to 8 mph and the car would literaly bet pushed back, the only damage that ever happened to the cf becuse of it was slight chipping and scratching of the clearcoat.

CF truly is great strong material and there used to be a few videos of guys jumping off the roof of their house and landing smack dab in the middle of the hood and not cracking or shattering it. ( I wouldn't recommend it since any resin based product only has so much give before it starts cracking and fracturing)

I was wondering if anyone here ended up buying this piece? This looks EXACTLY like the MSA front air damn. I am VERY interested in this as I'm going for a white/CF look to my 240Z when I get it painted. If anyone knows how the fitment would be that would help out greatly.

On a side note . . . is fitting the CF piece the same as fitting a FiberGlass piece? I just want to make sure so that when/IF I do pickup this piece I'll be able to fit it to my car by myself, and won't need to pay a bodyshop to do it for me.

I was wondering if anyone here ended up buying this piece? This looks EXACTLY like the MSA front air damn. I am VERY interested in this as I'm going for a white/CF look to my 240Z when I get it painted. If anyone knows how the fitment would be that would help out greatly.

On a side note . . . is fitting the CF piece the same as fitting a FiberGlass piece? I just want to make sure so that when/IF I do pickup this piece I'll be able to fit it to my car by myself, and won't need to pay a bodyshop to do it for me.

Yeah it's the same, actually fitting cf is usually easier because you cant really do bodywork on it so a quality company will get the mold and cf part as near perfect as possible.

I'm pretty sure you can drill CF, you just step up to size and let the bit do the work (and taping off both sides would help). You just have to realize that it will be a weak point of the part now.

its even better if you can put a rag on the surface, drill a small pilot hole in a wood block and sandwich the area to be drilled with a C clamp.

Seems pretty cheap for a low production (demand) item.

its even better if you can put a rag on the surface, drill a small pilot hole in a wood block and sandwich the area to be drilled with a C clamp.

Seems pretty cheap for a low production (demand) item.

Interesting idea...

I've been kicking around the idea of putting a CF BRE style one on my car, CF really does seem like an ideal material for this sort of application.

And cheap... kinda. Take a look at the shipping price! Would be a sweet deal if you lived in that area though.

I'd be a lot more tempted to buy one if I saw how it looked actually mounted on a car.

That thing is sexy, if I still had a Z build I would own that for sure.

On the same note fellas, if you use a thin sheet of aluminum or fiberglass under your airdam it will keep it from flexing. All you do is cut it to fit under the airdam and attach to the X-member as a bellypan. I did this to my Z and it works awesome, I used a front lower splash shield (fiberglass/plastic style) off a Jaguar. I think you can get sheet fiberglass from homo-depot.

thanks

pallnet