HybridZ

305 For 250 is it Worth it?

I found a 1984 vandura on criaglist, its from a towing company thats driven it occasionaly. its got a 305

heres the link

http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/1182835031.html

i was also thinking about this 350

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/1196110703.html

Both have a 700r4 i just wanted some input on which would be a better purchase. The 350 is bored but im not really looking for lots of power im more interested in a daily driver type v8.

Thanks, JON

The stock 350 will make a better DD in my opinion. You will have better torque and it's more cubic inches in the same dimensional space. Plus, if you ever decide to do some performance modifications, the 350 makes more sense AND if you ever decide to sell it, the 350 is more desirable and thus easier to sell. However, this is your money...

Davy

I swapped a carbed '86 305 in my ZX. I'd say it makes an ok DD, pretty good torque for such a light car but not much top end. I'm building up a 350 to take it's place right now and if I were to do it again, I'd have started with the 350. The carb is still jetted rich but it's drivable. I was only getting 10-12 MPG so I figure if I'm paying that much in gas I might as well have a faster car.

Go 350

305s... meh... they are great in work trucks and Caprices driven by old ladies but why waste your time swapping one. If you are going through the trouble of swapping it is about performance or else why would you swap, so why would you buy a 305?

I let a 305 TBI go in a deal that cost me $150 just to get rid of it. I later ended up getting an LT1 so I would say: If you are going to go though the effort of swapping, do it right and do it once. My 280z has not moved under her own power for over a year now. To be honest, I am glad for it. It gives me time to fix all rust, paint the car, re-make the wiring harness, do fun flairs like fender mirrors, and take my time enjoying it. If you look for a good deal, you will find it in less time than it take to strip your car and do the bodywork.

Also, once you have pulled the motor and tranny out, many things will hit a 'while I am at it' or I need to for this to work.