HybridZ

Misc part #s needed

Okay, I'm getting to the home stretch but there are a few things I'm looking for. I KNOW that some of this has been posted but I can't find it - argh!

1) Spark plug # for Edelbrock Performer RPM heads. I spotted this in a recent post but my searches are coming up empty. Help!

2) Radiator hoses. I've seen this awhile back but I'd like to know what the consensus is. Top hose looks like cake, bottom hose? Other than strolling the aisle has anyone found a hose that just works well? I've got a 90degree neck on top that swivels so I'm flexible icon_smile.gif

3) Air cleaner. I'd like to use what Mikekelly has done but may not spring for that right away. I need to find his writeup on th evarious part #s for that. If I go cheap what should I look for? 14inch, yes? Drop base? If so how much of a drop? About how tall? 3inch too short? Heeelp! icon_sad.gif

I think that's it. Most of the other little stuff is taken care of I think. Soooo close! Rear brakes, little battery wiring, water pump pulley, final fuel line plumbing, belt. Ignition!!!! Vrooom vroom soon! Yeah, I'm excited now icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

Jim,

You have a cowl hood right? Won't need a drop base if the air cleaner will fit up into the hood. My cowl is like like 3.5 inches in back between the top of the scoop and the cowl vent on the car. I've got a 5 x 14" filter on mine that just clears the cowl scoop and doesn't use a drop base. (I know its overkill, but I wanted it to be through the hood and get plenty of air. It does look sick as hell on there too... icon_wink.gif ) So a 3" thick should fit easily, with your cowl maybe even 4". Good luck on it, anxious to hear that its running and out kicking booty in the mean streets.. icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

Hrm, will have to measure the width of the scoop and see if it could fit up in there. It's not a real tall hood, just a mild scoop. I really think a ram-air setup is best but just haven't decided to commit the finds yet icon_smile.gif Want to get it running first before tweaking still more stuff.

I never imagined that a 5inch tall air filter would fit! How tall is the hood on your car? Did you use the frame spacers? What intake? Seems pretty tall to me, cannot imagine that fitting on mine but maybe... Would a drop base hurt at all - any hassles? Yeah, I don't know squat about darned carbs! Maybe pick one up in Carlisle this Friday - it's GM Carlisle icon_smile.gif

Cool! I just found ZFAN's post about plugs too! "Andrew, Per Edelbrock general instructions.

For RPM heads # 6072, 6073 or 6089. They highly recommend using Champion rc-12yc or equivalent. Hope this helps. Mike "

icon_biggrin.gif Now why couldn't I find that before?!

[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Guest Anonymous

Mine looks taller than it is, but its 3.5" at the back. Heres a few pics just after I bonded it on but before finishing with bondo, the other is a shot from the back to show how it 'just' clears it. I'm running a weiand stealth which is fairly tall and no drop base on a holley 600. The back of the air cleaner base is just a tad lower than the spark plug wires in the back. No frame spacers were used. icon_smile.gif

Aut_0043.jpg

Aut_0039.jpg

Regards,

Lone

[ June 25, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

For the hoses, I went to NAPA. The bottom hose is part# 7856, and for the top I used part #8631 which is a lower hose off some car?, but I cut off the part that attaches to the water pump (large end)and it fit like it was ment to be there with my AC and Alt on top of the motor. Check pics on my site.

Guest Anonymous

Haha... Its not as high as it looks, heres my car growdy as it is and still needs the hood finished out (and to be lowered still), but it shows its not as high as it looks... Well, maybe it is as high as it looks.. but yeah I can see out of it (over it). icon_razz.gif I don't know what happened, I was going for the sleeper look and... icon_rolleyes.gif

Aut_0009.jpg

Regards,

Lone

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

...you were going for the sleeper look and one thing led to another and....now there is a "Bite Me" sticker on your hatch glass to piss off ricers! icon_biggrin.gif

Subtlety is not one of your strong points! Haha, that's the way I like it! icon_biggrin.gif

Your friend,

Davy

Got some radiator hoses. Lower one is a flex piece that's 15inches long, doesn't look too bad. Upper is a molded hose, not sure what it came off of but I had to cut an end off icon_biggrin.gif Naturally the place I went wasn't a NAPA and there was no cross #. Kripes some of these local places stink, thankfully there are some good small shops but their hours generally blow.

Here'a shot of it, you can barely see the lower hose and I left labels where they could be seen -> 0.7C?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

Looking Sweet!

BTW, for anyone doing an old style Chevy V8 with the Camaro Rad, my site has hose numbers for molded hoses that fit, after trimming:

HOSES:

Top Hose: Dayco 71217 - This hose is very long and had close to a foot of extra length I didn't need. I used a 1-1/2" ID to 1-1/4" ID Hose adapter to connect it to the radiator, NAPA PN 900 "Hose Adapter"

Bottom Hose: Dayco 71217 - Perfect fit with my custom low mouted alternator. Looks OE.

Heater Hoses: Dayco 80407 - This is a long straight hose with a 90 degree bend at one end. I used one for each hose, with the 90 degree bend at the heater box/valve. Plenty of length to reach the front of the engine.

HTH,

Thank you Davy - means alot actually. In the past my car's have looked decent but never anything to write home about under the hood except maybe a little polish well alot but anyway... This car has just gone together pretty well. It's simple, hasn't required too many wires, and just looks "nice". I never really looked at it from an aesthetics standpoint until folks here commented on it and yeah, it's coming out allright. Can't wait to drive it and get it dirty (lol).