HybridZ

Drive shaft length problem (stock 72 240z)

hogie

I am getting closer to finishing up my car and I tried to put in the drive shaft tonight. Long story short is the drive shaft appears to be way too long. I have about 25.5 inches between the flange at the axle and the seal at the back of the transmission.

However, the drive shaft I have is 29.5 inches long altogether and about 27 1/4 inches to the collar at the front. Also the splines don't seem like they want to engage all the way (though the flanged ends match perfect).

How long should the drive shaft be for a 72 240 with a 4 spd? I have found a bunch of threads, but none with a proper length. That or they were for v8 swaps....yes I know this is hybridz :)

Thanks

I believe earlier Z's require a shorter driveshaft due to the forward placement of the differential, however I cant remember whether thats just for the 71's or what. Either way, I have a spare driveshaft from a 71 with the 4 speed, so I can measure that later if you like.

Cheers,

Rob

If you could measure that it would be great.

On a side note I checked to see if the mustache bar was flipped, but it appears to be going the right direction. Everything on the axle is bolted tight, and the motor appears to be in the proper place.

Thanks

I was able to call MSA earlier today and their driveshaft is right at 30 inches. I guess that solves one thing, my shaft isnt too long (by much)!

However, now I just need to find out why the splines wont engage fully and what I need to do to get it into the space required. It could be that my engine tranny is too far back or I guess the diff could be too far forward somehow.

THanks

Please let me know if anything looks out of place in these pics.

The splines on the shaft look like they are in good shape, but don't fully engage. Even after a good greasing.

I am quite sure the diff is mounted properly as well as the engine. The fan is darn near touching the radiator so there is no way for it to move any further forward.

I thought I read that there was supposed to be a tiny F on the diff mount, but I dont see that either.

Thanks

DSCF3922.jpg

DSCF3928.jpg

DSCF3929.jpg

DSCF3939.jpg

DSCF3940.jpg

DSCF3941.jpg

DSCF3953.jpg

DSCF3954.jpg

DSCF3955.jpg

DSCF3956.jpg

Arne (from ClassicZcars) figured out the problem. Whoever painted/powdercoated the shaft put it on extremely heavy and that wouldn't let the shaft go much past the seal.

After about 4 soakings in paint remover the driveshaft slides right in.

It looks like the collar on the shaft slides into the collar at the end of the transmission. Is it possible to put the drive shaft in too far? I know on my old hardbody that could cause problems.

THanks