HybridZ

EDIS 6 won't adjust timing with megasquirt II

Datsun Deron

Hey guys,

Well I managed to get EDIS 6 running tonight with Megasquirt II V3.0! Very excited about the whole thing still however I ran into one problem. I checked the timing with the SAW (pin 3) not hooked up and it was around 12 degrees which is close to the 10 degree mark I was supposed to hit. Adjusting the VR Sensor with my bracket I built is a bit of a pain so I just left it as is for now. Turned the car off I then plugged the SAW wire into my relay board "S5" turned the car on put on the timing light and when reving the car up the timing didn't change at all. I have configured Megatune to the EDIS settings that are on the MS website. Also I matched one of the ignition table to be similar with one that I found on hybridz. It seems that for some reason my ECU is not adjusting the timing...

For troubleshooting and equipment information:

-Im running the Chrysler coil pack with the EDIS 6 Module.

-I tested the wire from the relay board to the EDIS 6 Module and that tested fine.

-I tested the spark time change with another EDIS 6 Module and that made no difference.

-The Relay Cable I ordered online from diyautotune so I'm thinking that there should be a reason that it they have wired the cord for "S5" but I still need to check that.

-Originally my ECU was setup to run with direct coil control however I changed the ECU to Match Step 51a

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3assemble.htm.

-I also dont think that there are any changes that have to be made to switch from coil to EDIS on the relay board?

-The only step that I wasnt sure about was on step 52 which may or may not be messing things up.

It says:

52. Select the tach input circuit with jumpers:

For the VR sensor:

Jumper VRIN to TACHSELECT on the bottom side of the PCB (near the DB37, opposite the heat sink.)

Jumper TSEL to VROUT (Or VROUTINV if you want the VR input to be inverted) on the bottom side of the PCB, near the center.

OR (Do NOT install both sets of jumpers, chose one set or the other!)

For the Hall sensor,

optical sensor, coil negative terminal or points:

Jumper XG1 to XG2 on the bottom side of the PCB, near the 40 pin socket,

Jumper OPTOIN to TACHSELECT on the bottom side of the PCB, near the DB37 connector, opposite the heat sink.

Jumper TSEL to OPTOOUT on the bottom side of the PCB, near the center.

We left this as being the Hall Sensor (the second option) because up above this it lists:

Distributor Pickups: general information,

GM HEI: use the Hall/Optical circuit,

GM DIS: use the Hall/Optical circuit,

Ford EDIS: use the Hall/Optical circuit,

Ford TFI: use the Hall/Optical circuit,

Bosch 0 227 100 124: depends on trigger type,

MSD 6A: depends on trigger type,

Direct Coil Control: depends on trigger type.

Is it possible to confirm which tach input I should have used? Also if I am using the correct one does anyone have any other ideas of what we can try?

Thanks in advance,

Deron.

The input section is set up correctly as the MS never "sees" the VR sensor signal. If that's set up truly wrong, the MS won't see an RPM signal at all. I'm guessing the problem is with the output side. Do you have JS10 jumpered to IGN directly? If you still have the direct coil control mod this will interfere with the EDIS output.

And yes, our relay cables are set up with the wire for S5.

Well just wanted to give an update that it was infact the jumper. Lazyness on my part it appears from not reading ALL of the EDIS instructions... sorry about that... Thanks again Matt for pointing out the missing jumper :-). Once we changed it we were able to adjust everything perfectly not to mention it runs fantastic! Very responsive.