HybridZ

79ZX-speedo&tach?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I read somewhere in the archives that the stock Datsun speedo cables will fit a GM tranny, is this true (I have a 200)and also is there a method to figure out which drivegear to get for an accurate reading? I would also like to use the stock tach, but don't know which wires to use, resistors, etc?? I bought the car with the v8 already in it, the guy gave me a Chiltons manual, but it has no wiring diagrams for some reason? Luckily everything works in the car except tach & speedo. Thanks.[*]null

First off, welcome to the forum! For the speedo, you will need to have a speedo cable made with the datsun side for the gauge and a GM end for the tranny side. You can buy this through JTR, or go somewhere local. JTR shows which wires to use for a 280Z tach in a 240Z, but I'm not sure which wires for a 280ZX. There are some people here with 280ZX V8s, maybe they can help.

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: Mike kZ ]

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info and I'm glad I found the site. When I bought the car I thought I might be in for trouble finding parts and what fits what, etc. but that shouldn't be a problem now! The JTR manual sounds like it has a lot of info, who sells it?? Anyways, thanks again.