HybridZ

Help with optical slip ring (steering wheel)

Had a buddy stop by with an 85 300zx who wanted to align his steering wheel. Easy job I thought. Had the wheel off in a minute and repositioned and off he went.

He can back in 10 minutes saying the wheel was great but has lost his audio controls on the wheel. What a nightmare. everytime we put the wheel on at different positions and got audio to work but positioning of wheel was off.

Is there a way to align that stupid optical ring to make the audio controls work?

Your help is muchly appreciated

PS

I have the FSM but does not show any way to adjust this

one possibility is that the steering rack is not centered and so the steering wheel is not at the correct position. Happened to me on 280zx turn signals not work properly. Had to dissasemble the steering column (after centering the rack) and index it around so that the steering wheel was straight ahead as well as the wheels. Don't know if that is the fix but could be if the steering wheel needed to be moved to show straight ahead while driving.

Hey thanks guys. I took it apart and there was a broken wire under the cover at the slip ring. Wire is too small and needs to be resoldered. Took part in to electronics guy for $50. Dealer wanted $450 before tax and a 4 month wait

Thanks again