HybridZ

Headlamps acting weird

Owen

I've got my headlites wired and everything and they work fine except for one thing. The high beams...

Both the low and hi are hooked up to their own relays, and the lows work fine. But when I try to turn on the high beams, the lows either turn off without the highs turning on; or, everything turns off...

It's not a problem with the switch because I installed a new assembly, so it must be that the hi is shorting out the low at the lites somehow? I can hear the relay for the hi beam click but no lite. That means the turn sig assy is sending a signal just fine to the relays I believe.

Once in a while the highs will work fine, like once in 100 times...

Oh well, gonna do some more checking tonite...

Owen

What are those relays rated at? Did this work at all - ever? It's possible the relay can't handle the juice that the hi-beams draw and that the contacts have gotten burned. A little crud in there could be the problem. I'd suggest manually putting a signal to the high beam relay to see if it works, if it does it could still be your switch...

Test 'em - you never know. Who made the relays? Lot's of the cheap units I see on the shelf claim 30 amsp but they look nowhere near as beefy as the Hella units that Painless shipped with my setup. Maybe they can handle it, maybe not. I'd still manually trigger them and see.