HybridZ

Electrical and cooling questions

BLKMGK

Okay, I'm getting into the home stretch with wiring and am feeling pretty good icon_smile.gif However I've got a couple of questions (naturally).

My 240 wiring matches up with the JTR colors perfectly (whew). However I'm NOT running an HEI which JTR refrences quite a bit nor am I running a points box. I'm also running a one wire alternator...

I've got the whitered wire hooked to the alternator, correct? I've got the solid white wire hooked to the battery hot side. I've got the coil wired to the tach and distributor. I've got a Holly oil pressure switch wired to the fuel pump, ignition switch for pressure while cranking icon_smile.gif, and to the coil.

There are several wires originally on the driver's side refrenced by JTR. So far I don't think my ignition is going to get power so where do those wires go and which go where. I believe two are blackwhite. I thought I had this all straight but those wires are puzzling me. A little help plz as right now I see no power getting to the distributor. Doh!

I began wiring up my electric fan and test ran it off my charger. WOW does it blow some serious air! It was pretty stable too which was a relief. Not sure which pin is high speed and which is low but I'll work that out unless some can clue me. It's a Cobra fan but the Taurus ought to be close, ground was top pin. I'll run high speed manually and would like to have the low speed on a thermo switch. What switch has everyone found to be reliable? My previous fan had a switch that was adjustable but I don't trust it and have no wiring diagram - most of the wires are simply black (sigh). Jeg's has several in various price ranges and there are otehrs in rod mags. Any one in particular better than another or vice versa? Just need to trigger a relay not actually run the fan. Will slide it between the fins most likely, just need it in the ballpark to kick in the fan while idling in traffic.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Isnt the Distributor basically powered by the coil which is energized by the starter relay after the key ignition is energized?

Run a wire w/an inline fuse from the correct starter relay post to the coil & make sure the correct coil wires are connected to the appropriate distributor terminal(?). I may be crazy-but that's my two cents worth: Electrical is not my strong suit-I can usually trip my way thru if I'm looking at the car.

With the wires you have (that are still loose) have you tried hooking up a battery, turning the key & checking each terminal w/a circuit tester; or are you not to the battery hook up point yet?

If you are able to hook the battery up for the first time-I dont think I have to remind you (but I'll do it anyway) to remember to listen for "Sparks" & smell around for any possibly cross wired wires! (accidently done of course!).

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

[ June 17, 2001: Message edited by: Kevin Shasteen ]

Guest Anonymous

I believe the power is the black/white wire as I recall it (yeah, just check JTR to be sure) I know that will power up whatever ignition your using when the key is turned.

Careful on the 2sp Ford fans, if its like the Taurus ones, you can't have low speed come on if the high speed is also on, meaning if the high speed is manual, and the low speed is thermostatically controlled you'll have a problem if it try's to turn them both on. I believe there was a post about this somewhere. If your going to use both, you can probably find a temp sensor that will switch from low to high after a set temp. and then back once it cools down. I just ran mine on high all the time because I have the small radiator, once I get the Howe in there I may look into doing something with both speeds.

Regards,

Lone

Lone, I think I've seen a two temp sensor before, but you could run two, that turn off/on at different temps that don't overlap.

And you're right - juice should be given to one "speed" or winding of the fan motor at a time, never both. Hence, my complicated fan relay box icon_wink.gif.

But this could be handled with a couple of relays, a manual switch, and a temp sensor as well. Have a DPDT switch run the relays. One pole of the switch to energize a relay that passes the ground signal from the temp sensor, and the other pole for a manual override to the other (high?) speed relay. The switch would be wired so that

only one relay (and therefore one winding of the motor) was energized at a time.

Jim, my car is not here and I'd want to look at it to be sure. But there's a big black wire coming from the fan connector that's ground. The larger (thicker) of the other two should be high speed. Try both the others and see icon_wink.gif.

Hrm, I wondered about powering up both of those poles - doh! I had been warned not to run the high speed all he time as it WOULD burn the motor out. Hrm, this will be a PITA to wire around. What happens if both poles get power? icon_smile.gif

I'l reread the JTR stuff and see if I can figure out which wire goes where. I had thought this was one of my last things to wire, apparently not.

BTW - Autometer wrote to let me know that my speedo shoul be going out to me either last Friday or today. Apparently the LCD speedos didn't go into production until the 13th of this month. Seems I get one of the first! icon_smile.gif