HybridZ

opinions needed on a 260 2+2

tannji

I am considering buying a 260 locally that has been stored for the last 20 years. Ya, I know... I got that little lurch in the pit of my stomach too, but this isn't a gem in the rough... I think.

Long and short is the car was acquired in payment of debt, driven for a couple hundred miles, then stored, in 1987 or so. At one point it was minorly vandalized by kids, who crawled over it, denting the hood and roof, and they stole the key out of the ignition. The dents in the hood revealed bondo, so there was damage there to begin with. Apparently there is some bondo on top of the fenders as well, from similar damage. Supposedly there are only minor surface rust spots, and from the few pictures I have seen, it looks clean. We all know how that can turn out.

As for the "storage", no maintenance or actual preventative actions were taken. I would assume problems with brake lines, fuel lines, tank, carbs, clutch and brake masters, etc. I can only assume that this would not have been good for the engine or tranny either. So, if I get this it is probably a massive project to even return it to running, let alone somewhat restored. The current owner is currently asking $3700. I will not pay that, but given my location in the Midwest Z desert, and the work and parts it likely needs, what would be a reasonable and practical offer for it, assuming some kid doesn't fall all over himself to get it at near asking price?

From my point of view, 260's in stock form, let alone 2+2 model, are not particularly desireable, and I wouldn't normally consider it. However, it is auto and has four seats (sorta, lol) making it making it less of a reach when discussing with my GF and her two children.

Any input or personal experience in rescuing cars like this one would be appreciated.

Tannji

It's all about the unibody as to the amount of hard work required.

I would check around where the tension rods mount and make sure the core support and where the frame rails meet the firewall are OK.

If you find the unibody ok, then finding a car that is complete but with a bad unibody comes pretty cheap and could net you everything you need.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, very similar to my story. I bought a 74 260 2+2 which had also been sitting for a number of years (at least 8 or 9, probably longer). I am in the middle of a fairly extensive make over, including a fair amount of welding, which was new to me as I have only recently bought a welder.

It is as usual, more work than anticipated. The Battery tray area was shot, as was the dog leg, lower panels on both quarters, the bottom of drivers door, and one portion of one wheel arch. As well, the pass floorboard was pretty bad.

In addition, the interior needed renwal, including carpet, dash cover, door panels, etc.

So all in all it needed work. But it flashed up with a little persuasion, and seems to run without pushing blue. I know it will need some TLC, and then the usual upgrades (alternator, petronix, some wiring, tune up, etc).

But I didn't pay anything close to the price the owner of the car you are looking at is after. I paid closer to $800.00, and then paid the PO for some welding so cost more than the purchase price.

I am satisfied for the amount I paid: I think it will be a good car. So I would assess the car closely: the rust was more than I would have liked and i should have looked more closely when I got it. But the other parts so far have been very do-able, and I am happy with the purchase.