HybridZ

Serious tire wear, anything I should be aware of?

I have a 76 280z, basically stock. It has some suspension issues, the rubber is getting old (cracked), the rear passenger shock has about 1-2 inches of not damping, and the aligment is pretty clearly off, it pulls to the left under normal driving and to the right under braking.

I was already planning to replace the rubber underneath, and the shocks and probably the springs (if I can afford it). Since my rear tires have worn down to the metal in less than a year, I'm suddenly motivated to get this all done before I go buy new tires and get an alignment.

My question is if my tires have worn so bad because of poor alignment, or if there is another possible culprit I should know of? I feel like I read something about u-joints or bearings wearing out and causing tire wear, but I couldn't find it through searching.

I attached pics of my rear tire compared to my front tire, the rears are half gone, and these were all bought less than a year ago.

I'm ordering parts tonight, and will be getting new tires and an alignment after everything is installed, so any warnings or tips regarding this issue will be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I'm long winded, I didn't want to leave anything out.

CIMG0382_thumb.jpg

CIMG0384_thumb.jpg

I have a 76 280z, basically stock. It has some suspension issues, the rubber is getting old (cracked), the rear passenger shock has about 1-2 inches of not damping, and the aligment is pretty clearly off, it pulls to the left under normal driving and to the right under braking.

I was already planning to replace the rubber underneath, and the shocks and probably the springs (if I can afford it). Since my rear tires have worn down to the metal in less than a year, I'm suddenly motivated to get this all done before I go buy new tires and get an alignment.

My question is if my tires have worn so bad because of poor alignment, or if there is another possible culprit I should know of? I feel like I read something about u-joints or bearings wearing out and causing tire wear, but I couldn't find it through searching.

I attached pics of my rear tire compared to my front tire, the rears are half gone, and these were all bought less than a year ago.

I'm ordering parts tonight, and will be getting new tires and an alignment after everything is installed, so any warnings or tips regarding this issue will be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I'm long winded, I didn't want to leave anything out.

It's pretty clear that there are multiple things wrong with your car. You'll obviously need to replace all the bad parts (including checking your bearings while it's apart) before bothering to buy tires or get an alignment; just as you suspected. I'm not sure wheel bearings would get so bad as to wear your tires all the way down before a) you notice and B) they fail completely. Tie rod ends need looked at, etc. Basically, everything needs gone over. I'd be checking things not related to your alignment (like brakes, cooling, etc.) assuming the rest of the car has been maintained like that stuff.

Well the engine and transmission have been maintained almost immaculately, unfortunately the body and suspension are pretty rough. I knew the tires were wearing unevenly but the speed of their wear startled me.

I do all my own work, what should I look for on the tie rods?

Well the engine and transmission have been maintained almost immaculately, unfortunately the body and suspension are pretty rough. I knew the tires were wearing unevenly but the speed of their wear startled me.

I do all my own work, what should I look for on the tie rods?

Well jack it up and inspect them. See if they've been dry by pushing grease into them (the outers, anyways). Check for any wiggle or play, etc. If you don't have much slop in the steering wheel going down the highway, then they are probably still acceptable.

Thank you, I replaced the bad shock today, waiting on the bushing kit. The car wanders a bit on the highway, but I don't believe it has much play. I'll check everything this weekend, thanks again.

The steering shaft bushing is a nice upgrade, too. It should be in the bushing kit.