HybridZ

Question about how the High Beam Switch works

Hello all,

After trying to remove some of the rigged up wires on my 240, I decided to say the heck with it and completly rewire the car. My question is how exactly does the high beam switch work? I put an OHM meter to the 3 connections on the switch and I'm confused. In one position, there is continuity between the red-white and black, and in the other position the continuity switches to the red-yellow and black. I've tried using the wiring diagram but still can't figure it out. I assume the black is a ground for the switch? My thinking is that when the switch was closed, power would flow from the red-white to the red-yellow. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The switch actually acts to ground either the high or low beam circuits. Power is fed to the lights first and then back to the switch, which then grounds the circuit for continuity. This is why you only get continuity between the black and either wire.

The switch does not supply power to the lights, but rather the ground for them.

Hope this helps.