HybridZ

question about cooling system?

Guest mtj71Z

Guest mtj71Z

well i was pulling out that heater unit in my car, and was wondering if i can take the water hoses from the radiator -> the heater, and just directly connect it to the engine, bypassing the heater "thingamaboober" inside the dash....

er, heres a pic, sorry its so dark my camera's flash stopped working.

hoses.jpg

i can do that, right? icon_smile.gif

small world, my heater core blew up and flooded my passenger side floor last week, and i called my homies and asked the same question, and the answer is yes- cut it and loop them into each other, its that easy, i promptly ran into my house and came back out with a razor and a screwdriver, the whole ordeal lasted two minutes, and i looked like a real man in public icon_sad.gif

Sure, you can take your heater core out of that loop anytime on any motor. FWIW, a few years back some ZV8's were blowing some heater cores on the IZCC list whether they were new or old units.....I've heard of no troubles on ZX's to date. The fix is using a restrictor on the outlet at the water pump or block so the heater core never sees such high pressure. You could use a 'everflo' unit JTR recommends in their S10 manual or braze a washer/restrictor into a fitting etc....