HybridZ

Bought a bettery

BLKMGK

Been looking for one small enough to fit in my box and light enough to save weight while being able to crank the car.

How does 1100CCA and about the size of a shoebox sound? Oh, and it weighs 32.5lbs icon_biggrin.gif It cost just a hair over $100 at Summit, about $126 w/shiping an dit was here in two days. Looking under the label I spotted some info that leads me to believe this battery is the type used in UPS and whatnot but I'm not sure. We'll see how it does, I figure it's worth a shot!

0.7C?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

0.7C?OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

So I take it that the Optima (my choice) batteries are just way too fat to get into those racing boxes? Too bad. I'll have to fab one up because I'm basically sold on the Optima-type batteries.

Davy

Davy--I was looking thru a copy of "Truckin" magazine (it was at work and I was bored) and while most of the magazine was full of worthless trucks sitting 1/4" off the ground, I did notice a battery box specifically for the optima-if you can wait a couple days till I go back to work, I'll try and get the name of the company for you

Jim, that would be really cool, thanks. Maybe they also advertised in my June issue of Trukin' Magazine? Hey, I get bored at work too! icon_biggrin.gif Actually, I bought the June issue because it was full of flamed vehicles. I do have to say that although some are garish, the Truck magazines have vehicles with the "best" paint jobs. That's where I pull my ideas from for paint jobs for the Z icon_biggrin.gif Honest!

Davy

Well, I've had Optimas and that's actually what's in the RX7. Good batteries but I HAVE had them die on me (shrug). The one in the RX7 is HUGE and from past experience I have no doubt it weighs a ton too. I also was sure it wouldn't fit in my battery box, certainly not one that was rated 1100CCA anyway icon_sad.gif This sucker is supposed to hit 95% charge in 60 minutes from dead too icon_smile.gif

We'll see, for those of us on a diet this puppy could be pretty nice. It's price is right too. I may be yanking the battery in the RX7 if this one works out, that battery is way towards the nose of the car and RX7 owners kill to remove that flab. We'll see how this one works in the Z first and I'll be sure to report back if it stinks!

John, is 660CCA enough for a cold start, say in Winter? How about a hot start with a little heat soak? The RX7 guys have a small (okay, tiny) battery that they often swap in but I've heard all sorts of complaints and it's not like that motor takes much juice to crank ya' know? I saw some small 660CCA batteries in Jeg's but they were pretty pricey for the amperage they offered.

I actually wouldn't have minded a slightly smaller battery but the price on this one was right as was the weight. Can you tell us more about the one you've got? WEB site to order maybe? I might like to get the heavy beast out of my Z icon_rolleyes.gif and the woman needs a replacement battery for her car too.

This is a racing battery and probably not up to the demands of a street car. I do keep it on a trickle charger when the car's in my garage. It works fine to start my 9.5 - 1 compression L6 after hot soaks and on cold (20 degree) central California mornings. I've also used it to jump start a friend's Dodge Cummins Turbo Diesel! Shoulda seen the harassment that guy got when the other competitors saw my little Datsun jump starting his Dodge.

FWI... the battery costs about $125 last time I checked.