HybridZ

Throwing Belts?

Guest zfan

Guest zfan

Well as of late I seem to have a problem at high rpm's I keep throwing altenator belt.

Yesterday while running 0-60's and 1/4 mile I thru a belt, this is the third time in the last month, always at high rpm's.

The last two belts were Autozone belts nothing fancy. I've made sure they were plenty tight and alignment has not been an issue. Is there a specific belt brand I should try as this is pretty frustrating.

Any hints, brands to try or whatever would be appreciated.

Mike icon_confused.gif

Check your mounts - could they be flexing? Mustang blower guys often have this problem. At idle and whatnot it's no big deal - belts are fine. As RPM grows the crank will actually try to "walk" up the belt since there's load on the other end trying to keep up. The mount will flex, allow the belt to be drawn down, and the slack side flips off the pulley. For an alternator this could probably also happen - deeper pulleys might also help but most of the ones I've seen also underdrive the pulley. Look at your mount, maybe just shoring it up somehow would help?

I agree about the deep groove pulleys-they might help but you do need to make sure you're getting the same size diameter & width pulley.

Also, make sure all your securing bolts that your accessory brackets connect to have not come loose nor brokent; sometimes a bolt will snap in the block & it will look like it's tight-but under a heavy load will allow the pulley to shift...& pop goes the weasel/I mean belt!

One other thing-after you'be installed the belt for the umpteenth time; start the engine & look at the pulley...all of them (from the side) while the engine is ruuning to make sure the pulleys are not out of alignment. Its possible a pulley may have been hit by road debris & now its out of alignment-or there's a chip in the edge of the pulley-heck, anything's possible-look over your pulley w/a fine tooth comb; run your fingers over its edge for possible imperfections; sometimes the fingers will pick up things the eye cant see!

Hope you find the problem-nothing more frustrating than having to reinstall a belt on a nice car...constantly; been there-dont that!

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

As BLK stated yes, thge Mustang guys do tend to experience flex and my brother was able to stop the flex by fabbing his own additional bracket.

Check, double check and then check again your alignment. Have you run this set up for a while???

Lastly, yes there is a difference in belts! I for one do not like cogged belts. In my experience with high revving small blocks i had one engine (383) that was prone to throwing the belt at high r's. It was "twisting" and then pitching.

An old timer suggested I use a Motorcraft belt cause they are laminated. It worked!!! No other belts worked on the stock pulleys with that engine. That motor now has a deep pulley syatem on it and my cousin usues whatever belt with no probs...